Husky 44 floods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did a little porting and lowering on this saw and it is putting out about 175 psi. Hdc carb kept flooding so I finally set it up with a hda144 --- the saw floods! I changed the coil , might be low spark--- nope! The hda was tested and held shut to 25+psi and no leak down, do I have some kind of alien **** going down???? I checked the float level and it's right.

I did a little porting and lowering on this saw and it is putting out about 175 psi. Hdc carb kept flooding so I finally set it up with a hda144 --- the saw floods! I changed the coil , might be low spark--- nope! The hda was tested and held shut to 25+psi and no leak down, do I have some kind of alien **** going down???? I checked the float level and it's right.

Did you hit it with a hammer to see if that fixes it??

If it was fine before the porting I’d retrace your steps. You’re missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing. When you said float, you meant diaphragm, right? :D

So...either you have 2 carbs with the same undetectable internal leak...or there's something else going on.

I'm guessing you've already
(a) substituted a known good plug
(b) tried it without the kill switch wires disconnected.

Which ignition does it have?
1 piece (electronics in the coil)
2 piece (separate IIDA DENKI trigger module)

changed coils and left all the wires off, two different plugs, lowered the diaphragm lever a couple .002 below the top plate, have turned the set h and l out only 1/2 turn fires floods and dies.
Hmm. A deep mystery indeed!

Left field. Did anybody drop or hit the flywheel? (...just a thought)

Loose or missing welch plugs. metering gasket in wrong position. Short needle where long one is required, adjustment screws too far out or tip broken. wrong or tired fulcrum spring. trapped fulcrum or rough pivot pin causing needle to stay open. fulcrum arm fork not in slot but on top. Using wrong diaphram, button for solid arm and slot button for fork arm. Missing seat or damaged where the needle seats.
A pop off pressure check will catch most of these problems

I had never had this 144 apart before so I didn't inspect the interior of it that well. In the middle of the night last night, I got a vision of the needle valve side of the carburetor while I was setting the height, I saw three small holes in my dream that are supposed to be under the welch plug! I will let you know if it is true and the plug is actually missing.

Tell me a little more about the check valve function and is it replaceable, please.
The check valve stops air flowing back into the fuel supply via the main jet when not at WOT. On an HDA I think it's under a metal cover, under the metering diaphragm.

That said, if the check valve is the problem, immediately closing the high needle after the saw starts should allow it to idle without flooding.
https://www.walbro.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/HDAseries.pdf

Another theory. Is it possible that both carbs have torn/leaky pump diaphragms through which liquid fuel is being sucked into the crankcase?

DIARY OF A BRAIN DEAD MECHANIC
I pulled the carb and took off the diaphragm cover, low and behold! three little holes staring at me from where the plug should be. I got this carb with some parts and it was completely together with tight screws, I guess the last guy rebuilt it and forgot the welch plug, saw started right up. Thanks for the questions, without them I probably would have used it for 45 practice.

Latest posts

Back