Husky 440 chain too sharp ? Whats it worth , with 18 inch bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Runs great but sometimes chain just stops in wood, engine still running,then let up and don't put as much force on it and cuts good. Cut alot with it but just more careful how much I bear down on it. I hand file with all in one,,checked rakers, same way I sharpen my other saws and they cut fine.

Sorry if. this should be in a different forum

It's the nature of those saws, the clutches slip if you lean on just a tiny because the chain might be to aggressive for the power head, you can set the rakers higher, change the type of chain, go to a smaller bar and chain, or retune the carburetor which isn't uncommon on these saws. The 440 isn't the most powerful in the 40cc class so it doesn't take much to slow them but simple changes really help.

Have you had the clutch off & checked it over/ given it a good clean? Brake parts cleaner works well.
What's the bar like? A worn bar will put additional load on the chain, as will too little bar oil (should use close to a tank per tank of gas)

It doesn't look like you've touched the rakers yet, in the first pic the cutter looks a little strange like maybe the upper edge has been sharpened differently, or maybe it's the remains of the factory grind and your filing hasn't removed it yet. Another thing to consider is maybe it has to do with the bar length. My dad runs an 18 on his 445 while a neighbor swears a 16 is better, perhaps in your region the wood is hard enough the saw just doesn't quite have the grunt to spin that length of chain. Maybe when this bar and chain wear out, put a 16 inch bar on it, or just keep using a lighter touch while cutting.

The Narrow kerf .325 seemed to get stuck for me. Upon looking at the newer versions the depth gauges now are more bent to the side and don't seem to do it. Only in certain wood or combination of dead and live in the same cut. The guys with pro 50cc saws might not have this happen.

The Narrow kerf .325 seemed to get stuck for me. Upon looking at the newer versions the depth gauges now are more bent to the side and don't seem to do it. Only in certain wood or combination of dead and live in the same cut. The guys with pro 50cc saws might not have this happen.

You need a nk bar also. Steve

It may need a little richening up on high speed causing chain to stop?

Back