Husky 460R Question ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harpoone

Reaction score
Looking at the manual / specs on a 460R, it says recommended bar length is 15" to 24". The saw is has a 3/8" pitch standard profile loop. It goes on to say a 0.050 or 0.058 gauge drive links can be used with the corresponding bar.

I want to set up an Alaskan style mill but I it will need to be a bit longer then the recommended 24" max. I am thinking at least 36". I can find some bars and chains with the correct pitch and gauge but none that say they will work on a 460R.

Is there something I am missing? Or will these longer setups work on a 460R but just not recommended and therefore not listed as compatible? I know 70cc, 80cc or more would be much better for what I am trying to do but 62.5cc shuould be able to handle it if I don't run the saw like a sprint car, right? Or will it just not work?

Thanks in advance,
Harpoone

The 460 also has the K095 bar mount pattern, so bar sizes will also be limited, bigger Husky saws run the D009 pattern. So the answer to your question is no, a 460 will not work in this application for numerous reasons.

Oregon 32" is available NOS from @Jon1212 reasonable.

Like everyone else skeptical how many hours the powerhead will go. Could be some high priced timbers or slabs.

Right on. But really it's more than just how long the saw may or may not last. The clutch likely would likely slip a lot trying to pull any chain over 24" milling, this will creates enormous amounts of heat, then you have an oiler that was designed for a bar over 24" in normal cutting, which milling is not, among other things like the plastic case, bearings and so on. With a 24" bar good chain, good tune, 32:1 mix, I'm sure the saw could do some some light milling, any more than that and the saws will likely fail pretty quickly.:cheers:

I can personally testify that the rancher cannot keep up with the oiling demands of milling, not even with a 20” bar let alone a 24”.

You will see that the cutters full extremely quick, get very very hot and in turn the bar will have extra wear on it. The farm tough bar will be toast rather quickly.

Don’t get me wrong, you can mill small logs like 8-10” in diameter with no abnormal consequences. If you plan to use a rancher and stick to those size logs it certainly can be done although a muffler mod is a must for prolonged engine life in this area.

The rancher imo is an amazing saw and well worth the money just not good enough for milling.

A real killing saw starts at the 395xp it has all the features one would want but it costs just a little over twice the 460 rancher.

I cannot recommend a saw below the 395 only because I have no experience with the models above a rancher and below the 395.
However a 372 may suffice, seeing what others have to say is probably the best course of action.

Good luck!

I should mention that with a 20” bar on a 460 rancher and an additional oiled you could milk as big as the bar supports, again a muffler mod is an absolute to keep engine heat tolerable to the parts.

I also can attest to the abuse the rancher can take even though it has plastic cases it can stand up to horrific conditions. This is what I’ve experienced

Oregon 32" is available NOS from @Jon1212 reasonable.

Like everyone else skeptical how many hours the powerhead will go. Could be some high priced timbers or slabs.
Yes, I do have a couple of the 32" left, but as has been mentioned, it would be detrimental to that innocent saw, to hurt it that way....LOL!

Now for less bending when limbing, or knot bumping, a 28" or 32" would be pretty cool on a 60cc Powerhead.

Wow, there is much more to chainsaws then I thought. You guys are great. I just learned more reading these post then I did in a week of researching on line. You probably saved my 460 some abuse and me some money and frustration. Thanks. I think I am going to rip the three 42" x 8' logs in half and have someone come over with a 30" band saw mill to finish em' up. Any tips on halving those logs?

Latest posts

Back