Husky 51/55 Dies With Throttle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpankratz

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Today is not my day. 2 out of 2 saws went down. Another thread coming for the other saw.

Anyways I bought this saw, which had some work done to it (55 conversion, maybe a touch of porting). I was cutting wood, and it ran like a raped ape. Suddenly I couldn't get any RPM out of it and it would die.

Fearing the worst I pulled the muffler, all looked good. Compression was 150+. Spark is good. I checked while running with an inline tester, it never fades or flickers even when the saw dies.

Now the plug is fairly fouled, could that be all it needs? I can't see it. It starts and idles great. Give it throttle, and it bogs and dies.

Change the plug, check the fuel filter. My husqvarna 65L was doing the same. All looked good otherwise. After replacing the plug and filter it might need some tuning. Also, if it's been sitting for a while you might have some vanishing in the carb. A little carb cleaner goes a long way.

These saws have a intake system that has a weakness. Check the intake check the carb inlet screen change the plug. Do these 1 at a time so you know what fixes it.

I should check the tank vent. That could be it.

But here's what I'm really leaning towards.... I don't know how to tune the saw properly and I'm pig rich.

I threw a new spark plug in it today, let it idle a few min, then grabbed a hand full of throttle and started cutting. It ran GREAT!

The other saw is TBD, and I only did one cut as it was getting late and I live in a residential area, but I'm 100% confident it's not the carb now.

Well now I don't know. It ran great, cutting well, about 5 minutes in, lost RPM and died. Opened up the gas lid, no change.

Ok so it looks like the carb did the trick. Threw the carb in the ultrasonic for 10 min. The diaphragm was quite stretched.

My only issue now is that the butterfly won't close all the way, all the time. Sometimes I really have to let it snap back. I tried winding the spring another round but then the throttle lever just bends when hitting the throttle.

Maybe in need of a new spring? Also it seemed to start smoking after a fair bit of cutting, but the exhaust is leaking at the crimp, and I think it's starting to melt the plastic.

Back