Husky 550 XP mark 2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckycutter

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I bought this to replace an old 346 that someone had stolen. For 35 years now I have bought huskys and ran the hell out of them with very few problems. This 550 has been the exception. No issues at all about the engine as it starts fine and runs strong. When all is working it is a great cutter. The chain/ bar is another story. The chain likes to throw itself off the bar and when it does it gets torn up by the chain catcher. That means taking the chain home and grinding the drive links or the chain wont even fit back into the bar. The chain catchers on my other saws were covered with rubber or some other so it wouldnt tear up the chain. The 550 just has a hunk of raw metal to stop the chain. Another issue is those fancy new bar nuts dont like to stay tight and when they loosen up too much I get another torn up chain. Is there some sort of learning curve to this saw? Is there something I am missing or is this saw a high maintenance lemon? Right now I am considering trying a different bar. It came with a husqvarna bar. Any advice on what to do with the chain catcher would be appreciated. I am frustrated enough to just take it off but I know thats not a good idea. Hopefully I can find one with a coating on it to save the chain.

The chain catch is not what burrs up the drivers on the chain, the sprocket on the clutch drum is what hammers the drivers and makes it impossible to put the chain back on the bar without grinding the burrs off the drive links. The metal chain catch that gets chewed up when you throw a chain is being hit by the cutters, not the drive links.

The reason that your other Husqvarna saws don’t get burred up as bad is because they have a rim sprocket instead of an all in one clutch drum/sprocket that’s on your 550 with the star looking sprocket. That is what hammers your drivers when you throw a chain. Another good example is a 372 with an internal clutch and rim sprocket as opposed to a 550 with an external clutch and star sprocket on the clutch drum. If you throw a chain on a 372 the drivers will have a lot less damage then if you throw a chain on your 550.

If you take your saw in to your nearest Husqvarna dealer they should be able to replace the star sprocket with a rim sprocket. I know Oregon makes a clutch drum with separate rim sprocket kit for under $40.

If you throw a chain it will still burr the drivers, but not as bad.

Edit. Just got to work and see the newer 550s come with a rim sprocket. So like I was saying you will still get burred drivers with rim sprocket just not as bad as a star sprocket

The chain catch is not what burrs up the drivers on the chain, the sprocket on the clutch drum is what hammers the drivers and makes it impossible to put the chain back on the bar without grinding the burrs off the drive links. The metal chain catch that gets chewed up when you throw a chain is being hit by the cutters, not the drive links.

The reason that your other Husqvarna saws don’t get burred up as bad is because they have a rim sprocket instead of an all in one clutch drum/sprocket that’s on your 550 with the star looking sprocket. That is what hammers your drivers when you throw a chain. Another good example is a 372 with an internal clutch and rim sprocket as opposed to a 550 with an external clutch and star sprocket on the clutch drum. If you throw a chain on a 372 the drivers will have a lot less damage then if you throw a chain on your 550.

If you take your saw in to your nearest Husqvarna dealer they should be able to replace the star sprocket with a rim sprocket. I know Oregon makes a clutch drum with separate rim sprocket kit for under $40.

If you throw a chain it will still burr the drivers, but not as bad.

Edit. Just got to work and see the newer 550s come with a rim sprocket. So like I was saying you will still get burred drivers with rim sprocket just not as bad as a star sprocket
Perhaps I got one with the star sprocket. I dont remember ever throwing a chain and not be able to put it back and continue cutting.

Back