Husky 550xp 2012 model year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjp

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I purchased a 550 xp in 2012 used it about 6-10 times,1 full day rest very light use, coil failed in 2014 left sitting til now have 3 other saw and moved twice, now on large 100 acre mtn property in TN want to get saw running but worried all the stories i read about problems

If im reading wright i have the at1 carb which is good ??
any other problems with 1st gen of 550xp ??
should i repair and sell ?? any info would be great

The list of issues and updates with the 550 is extensive. Don't know if you can get a matching new coil or not, but I know the coil has to be matched with the correct AT firmware, so you'd need the exact same coil. I would shoot Spike60 aka Bob a PM he could help you with the info, he's real busy this time of year so it may take him awhile to to respond.

Hope this helps.

From what Ive read quality control was poor for the early year saw. Mechanically they are sound, people reported problems with the first ten carb, you should search and see what they were.

Selling the saw will net you a loss, especially so if it’s not running. I think your goal should be to get it running, replace the coil and bring it into a dealer to have the old carb flashed to your new coil.

From what Ive read quality control was poor for the early year saw. Mechanically they are sound, people reported problems with the first ten carb, you should search and see what they were.

Selling the saw will net you a loss, especially so if it’s not running. I think your goal should be to get it running, replace the coil and bring it into a dealer to have the old carb flashed to your new coil.

They weren't mechanically sound either.

If you really want the saw 100% this is what I would do. Replace the carb with an AT12 model and have the AT system programmed for what ever coil you get. I would also vac/pressure test the saw they are notorious for having air leaks, crank seals, transfer seals and even the case halve seal was known to fail, they ended up adding another case screw later on. Understand most of the components on your saw were redesigned at some point, basically the entire was redesigned progressively. If you want a dependable durable saw, I would get it running and sell it off and get something else. This is just my opinion, thay were generally not reliable saws.

They weren't mechanically sound either.

If you really want the saw 100% this is what I would do. Replace the carb with an AT12 model and have the AT system programmed for what ever coil you get. I would also vac/pressure test the saw they are notorious for having air leaks, crank seals, transfer seals and even the case halve seal was known to fail, they ended up adding another case screw later on. Understand most of the components on your saw were redesigned at some point, basically the entire was redesigned progressively. If you want a dependable durable saw, I would get it running and sell it off and get something else. This is just my opinion, that were generally not reliable saws.

carb and coil puts plus flash plus misc $250-300
puts me half way to a new 261 would just assume buy one than screw with this pos
first and last husqvarna

I believe the coils have a lifetime warranty. If not a used coil is an option.

But yeah a lot of guys got screwed with these POS. I had to put $150 and some work in mine just to get it running right. It does run awesome now, but still.

I'd love to port it if you decide you want more power out of it once you get it running right again.

I believe the coils have a lifetime warranty. If not a used coil is an option.

But yeah a lot of guys got screwed with these POS. I had to put $150 and some work in mine just to get it running right. It does run awesome now, but still.
thanks everyone- they do have life time warranty-on coils just have to pay labor

Back