Husky 562 xp hot start issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBA

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys, anyone with a 562 have trouble getting their saw to fire after its been run hard. Was bucking up a good sized maple tree yesterday and when the tank ran dry she just didn't want to have at it again. cooled off and it fired up fine. premium gas and a religiously cleaned air filter. any ideas? thanks in advance

Hey guys, anyone with a 562 have trouble getting their saw to fire after its been run hard. Was bucking up a good sized maple tree yesterday and when the tank ran dry she just didn't want to have at it again. cooled off and it fired up fine. premium gas and a religiously cleaned air filter. any ideas? thanks in advance

What method do you use to start the saw once it's hot, eg. choke, pull, 1/2 choke, no choke etc?

Did you first choke it when you tried to start it after the refuel???? None of my saws like being choked when they are still warm. Floods the carb on em'. ( at least mine anyway) I would have to let em' set for a while and then they would fire right up, or pull out the plug and crank em 8 or 9 times to blow some of the extra fuel out. I don't pull the choke unless they have set for few hours. Hope this helps ... Good luck

I hit the primer bulb 5 times being that I ran the tank dry. Tried without the choke then with it. Didn't pull the plug. Just let it cool down then it lit back up

That there owners manual has a wealth of info in it. On a hot start, you are supposed to hit the purge 3-6 times, put the choke up to set the fast idle and then immediatly push it to run, then start.

If you have continual problems on warm starts consider what my dealer does to all 550 and 562's before they go out the door. He installs a one way check valve on the line that vents the tank to the carb. It can allow raw gas to enter the carb and flood it.

33vhp45.jpg

I hit the primer bulb 5 times being that I ran the tank dry. Tried without the choke then with it. Didn't pull the plug. Just let it cool down then it lit back up

If you pull up, set the choke (this engages the fast idle), then push down and the choke is disengaged but the fast idle remains and it will start better.

If you have continual problems on warm starts consider what my dealer does to all 550 and 562's before they go out the door. He installs a one way check valve on the line that vents the tank to the carb. It can allow raw gas to enter the carb and flood it.

33vhp45.jpg

Pull your "one way valve" off and stick it in your mouth. Breath in then breath out, its a two way valve.

The existing tank valve is also a two way valve, it doesn't allow raw gas to pass through it, only fumes.

Issues with warm re-starts are usually attributable to the operator, and in the other cases a simple software update.

How many tanks you run through it?

Mine did it when new (first couple tanks), then no more. Well over a year old now

Helps to use purge bulb. Some saws like fast idle, mine doesn't need it.

Once I leaned how to start this saw, it became my easiest starting saw. Cold, hot, in-between, etc...

Pull your "one way valve" off and stick it in your mouth. Breath in then breath out, its a two way valve.

The existing tank valve is also a two way valve, it doesn't allow raw gas to pass through it, only fumes.

Issues with warm re-starts are usually attributable to the operator, and in the other cases a simple software update.

It's wierd to me that software updates are discussed when talking about gas powered saws lol!

If you pull up, set the choke (this engages the fast idle), then push down and the choke is disengaged but the fast idle remains and it will start better.

Setting fast idle shouldn't be nesessary if the saw is still really warm, but that option is (as usual) left out of the manual, to keep it simple (how to define "really warm?). :msp_smile:

Anyway it shouldn't hurt to set it.

What is "gained" by not using high idle, is that the chain won't move when it starts.

Last edited:
Hey guys, anyone with a 562 have trouble getting their saw to fire after its been run hard. Was bucking up a good sized maple tree yesterday and when the tank ran dry she just didn't want to have at it again. cooled off and it fired up fine. premium gas and a religiously cleaned air filter...

Maybe had something to do with running the tank dry; the 562 may be fussy on hot restarts when that happens. Best to avoid running the tank dry in any event.

Setting fast idle shouldn't be nesessary if the saw is still really warm, but that option is (as usual) left out of the manual, to keep it simple (how to define "really warm?). :msp_smile:

Anyway it shouldn't hurt to set it.

What is "gained" by not using high idle, is that the chain won't move when it starts.

I agree.:bowdown:

I haven't had the 562 that long and there is a learning curve on starting it. If it is real warm, just pull the cord, if it has been sitting 4-5 min (winter time) engage fast idle. Much longer than say 10 min and you may need the choke for a single pull.

Back