Husky 572 XP Clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattOB

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,
Today i was "winterizing" my 572 as i work at sea and i'll be away for a few months. I was following husqvarna advice on their website on running the saw dry until the fuel stops and then trying to start it a few times until its dry.

I was reving the saw with the chain brake on to speed the process up, i did notice a lot of smoke and just thought it was bar oil ggetting hot, it didn't smell of a burnt clutch (not like you can tell from a car anyway). Now i think about it i was getting a lot more more revs at times with the brake on then i normally do..
But the chain was not moving.
Just did this for 20 seconds or so.

Upon taking off the clutch cover to give a clean for storage, the clutch drum cover has heat discolouration (purples)
and the plastic item in an arc directly above the clutch drum cover seems to be slightly burnt..

Any ideas what's happened?

Its almost a new saw and I'm quite new to this.. Hoping i haven't burnt the clutch out, but not sure how i could have! But somethings not right with what's happened..

I can take some pictures tomorrow to post, I'm just not with it at the moment and am curious..

Thanks
Matt

Don’t use the clutch brake as a load as others have said your going to **** something up.

clutch drums will discolour over time, it’s normal. However you have accelerated the process

Thanks all - i did not know any of this - just assumed it was in a form.of neutral..
Guess i've possibly done lots of damage by trying to do the right thing :(

Thanks all - i did not know any of this - just assumed it was in a form.of neutral..
It can be fixed don't worry about
It
I've had a bunch of stihl clamshell saws
Nearly melted into a blob because
The owner's left the chainbrake on.
Post some pics
I've got many heavily used saws that haven't lost a clutch.
Hopefully you just discolored yours.

Not a big deal.

does it still oil? Does the clutch brake still work? Can you still easily turn your chain?
If yes your ok.

you should familiarize yourself with the clutch and how it works. There is a C clip that retains the drum, bearing and rim for your chain. Take it off with a flat head screwdriver and clean it up and inspect it.

I'll take the clutch drum off tomorrow and show you all what i find, thanks for your help everyone

Hello all!
Morning after
So some pics of the clutch - looks OK to me apart from the burnt plastic bit

But I'm not mechanic!

What are your thoughts?

A couple of questions - i haven't seen any documentation on not applying throttle with the brake applied. And also the revs were limited before when the brake was on and the time i had the issues the revs were a lot higher, i wonder what happened there..

OK so someone mentioned AT? What's that, auto tune? How is that relevant to the oil?

Also shouldn't there be a foam damper in the circular area i also took a pic of?

So here are the pics anyway of my school boy error

What checks can i now do to see if its working OK?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/25du6gbmw/IMG_20200218_094909.jpg IMG_20200218_094909.jpg IMG_20200218_094246.jpg IMG_20200218_094909.jpg IMG_20200218_094909.jpg IMG_20200218_094246.jpg IMG_20200218_093954.jpg IMG_20200218_093928.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200218_093921.jpg
    IMG_20200218_093921.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20200218_093506.jpg
    IMG_20200218_093506.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20200218_093456.jpg
    IMG_20200218_093456.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20200218_094921.jpg
    IMG_20200218_094921.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20200218_094916.jpg
    IMG_20200218_094916.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 6
What does the worm gear look like? Does the drum turn freely and produce oil at the outlet when you spin it?

AutoTune was mentioned because the heat could have been severe enough to damage the seal, which would cause an air leak.

I have seen worse , if it were me , would do some cleaning , replace the melted plastic piece , and run it... it's a husqvarna it's fine . heated version i have the same saw , maybe run it for a bit and have the dealer plug it in and see how she's running ..

OK took it to the dealer and he said its absolutely fine
He said i could just sand off the burnt pieces of the burnt cover but i ordered a new one anyway for £8. Much better than what i was expecting!
He explained how the clutch would have been over powered with extended periods of throttle on the chain brake being such a powerful chainsaw and that's why i got higher revs than normal. He also said most of the smoke i saw probably came from some bar oil being burnt off with the clutch heating up and the plastic burning.
That i am a naughty boy and never to do it again
Very grateful they were so honest as they could have taken me to the cleaners!

Back