Husky 61 chainbrake

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlfanboy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My father inlaw gave me a husky 61 sense I cut his wood for the last 3 years for him. It runs great but when cutting the chain brake will engage in almost every cut. Is there any adjustment to the chain brake? He swore there was a way to. Or is there any issue I'm missing? And I saw somewhere this saw will pull a 28 inch bar, any truth to that? It's got a 18 3/8s now. 20170124_212823.jpg 20170124_212535.jpg 20170124_212830.jpg

I think that thumb screw above the return spring is a adjustment of some sort....I think if the handle hits the screw head the brake goes off so it your av mounts are blown the saw body moves too much and triggers the brake...I have the same brake cover ya think I would know....but I could test the adjustment and get back to ya....spike 60 would know for sure I bet..

good luck

The 61 is a great saw but a 28" bar, seems a bit much. Not exactly an overly power full saw. I find them a bit tame.
And yes it's probably your screw tripping the brake.

Well I ended up taking that screw out. It was maxed out in the treads. Chain brake still works so I guess my question is what's the point of this? 20170126_061509.jpg 20170126_061501.jpg

I think, initially, it was to stop you from crowding a dull saw and taking out the AV rubbers or loading the saw motor to much, or running way to long a bar....any of which will activate the chain break. As you can see they discontinued this type of brake after a few years. There are several remedy's......don't lean on the saw so hard, let it do the work.....remove the screw as you have.......they also make harder/firmer AV mounts for this saw family, Bailey's sold them last I knew, I've bought a couple sets before and they take care of a lot of the problem.....18" bar is just about right for a stock 61 and your chain looks pretty sharp.....I have several of these type brakes and don't have any problem...I just screw the bumper all the way in and let her cut.

Latest posts

Back