Husky bar recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walkerdogs

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently acquired a husky 266xp that now runs amazing & a 61 that is getting a 272 top. Both saws have Powermatch 20" bars. Is this too much for these saws or should they be wearing 18" bars instead? Thanks in advance

20" is probably ideal for those. How big is the wood you are cutting? You could get up to 24" and still be OK. I wouldn't do that on a regular basis...but you could.

my ms210 & 024 super both sport 16's & I have a 661 with 28 & 36 for the big boys. I will keep the 20's on these then so I have an excuse to buy another saw to run a 24!!

I Guess that it would depend a bit on what kind of wood you are cutting, and elevation can make some difference too.

I bought my 266XP around '91, it and my little 23 Compact were my 2 saw plan for about 25 years.

I have a 24" Bar with a Full Comp Chain on it, and for years lived below 1000' elevation, and cut almost entirely Douglas Fir and other Softwoods, we just don't get much Hardwood in my area. I could BURY that 24" Bar and Full Comp Chain in a Big D Fir, and that 266 would just keep Ripping :)

After we moved up to Mt. Hood, I Buried the Bar in a Big D Fir, but above 6,000' elevation, and it was working hard, and not getting the job done as quickly as it normally would, but was "Managing", but I hadn't retuned it for high elevation, I figured better to run Rich and accept some power loss, as my cutting varies widely in elevation.
Trading the Full Comp, for a Skip tooth Chain probably would have helped, but I had never needed one before, so I didn't have one.

Cutting Big wood, at High Elevation was a "Good Excuse " to get a BIGGER SAW;):).

If you are cutting a lot of Oak, or other Hardwoods, a 24" B&C might be a bit much, but for a quarter Century of my cutting, my 266XP handled a 24" B&C Very Well.

My 266 made a Husky Believer out of me, and it is a Saw that I will NEVER Part with.

Doug :cheers:

Over half my timber is ironwood That ranges from 10" to about 4 ft so I probably need to buy one more saw that will handle a 24" with ease

Over half my timber is ironwood That ranges from 10" to about 4 ft so I probably need to buy one more saw that will handle a 24" with ease
Curious, what is another name for the "ironwood" that you are referring to?

There are several different species that have that common name. For most of the east/central US "ironwood" is Ostrya virginiana also known as Eastern hophornbeam. 10" is big...40" is HUGE (like, unheard of) for this species. Overlapping that, Carpinus caroliniana (American hornbeam) is called ironwood less frequently. That is also too big for that species.

Always interested in regional differences in what gets called what...not saying you are wrong, just probably a species I haven't heard called that.

There are several different species that have that common name. For most of the east/central US "ironwood" is Ostrya virginiana also known as Eastern hophornbeam. 10" is big...40" is HUGE (like, unheard of) for this species. Overlapping that, Carpinus caroliniana (American hornbeam) is called ironwood less frequently. That is also too big for that species.

Always interested in regional differences in what gets called what...not saying you are wrong, just probably a species I haven't heard called that.
Ironwood here in Arkansas is Bois D'Arc or Osage Orange.

These looks very similar to the giant hedge trees that I grew up cutting in central illinois but these don't seem to bear fruit. I'll get some pics so maybe someone can correct me if I am totally off my rocker

I have seen a few monster iron wood in my lifetime. There was no telling how old they was but exceeded 24 inch and I now wish I had recorded their location.

Another point that I meant to mention earlier, you are asking one question, about two different saws:

266XP 66.7cc's 4.5 HP

61 61.5cc's 4.1 HP

Per Acresinternet's website, Those are just the Quick, Easy, Dirty numbers, but help show that what might work just fine for the 266XP, maybe more than the 61 is up to.

I have never owned or run a Husky 61, but I have owned a 266XP for about 27 years now, long before I even KNEW, that I "HAD, a 2 Saw Plan;)", so I wont comment on the 61, but the 266XP is a Definite "KEEPER" in my book, and a very capable saw for it's class. My 266 has been Extremely reliable, Easy to start, often on the FIRST pull, even after a month or more of not being used, it rarely takes 3 or more pulls to start(after the third pull, I'm checking the On/Off switch, that is the usual cause of 3 or more pulls:omg::dumb2::)) If I had known when I bought, how impressed I would be with it, I would have another 266XP NIB, in my garage, JUST IN CASE, but it would be from being stolen, or a tree falling on "Old Reliable" or some other equally stupid act on my part, that would cause me to unbox the back up.

If you ever decide that your 266XP needs a new home please PM me.

A simple carb cleaning was all it needed. I am kind of concerned on how easy it starts though lol. One soft simple tug & it is running smooth at idle. I grew up running Stihl Mac & old Homie saws & this was never the case with any of them. It's runs too smooth for comfort. I got a good deal on a 268 p/c for the 61 & ordered more parts this morning so hopefully I'll make a runner out of it soon

I just bought this property about a year ago & a few old fellas that live down the road seen me cutting wood so they stopped by & were telling me what to cut & what to leave alone. They kept pointing to those hedge looking trees & saying get rid of that damn ironwood & those piss elm over there!

A simple carb cleaning was all it needed. I am kind of concerned on how easy it starts though lol. One soft simple tug & it is running smooth at idle. I grew up running Stihl Mac & old Homie saws & this was never the case with any of them. It's runs too smooth for comfort. I got a good deal on a 268 p/c for the 61 & ordered more parts this morning so hopefully I'll make a runner out of it soon

I know, it can be Difficult to get used to those FIRST and SECOND Pull Starts ;)
But with time you will adjust and learn to just "Accept" them :)

If it ain't making Smoke and Noise by the Third pull, check that On/Off switch(Yes, I Have done that :dumb2:) if the switch is Good, check the tank (I've done THAT too:omg:) if those are BOTH Good, and it STILL takes more than THREE PULLS, well then all I can say is write that down in your Diary, because it will be a Memorable Event that won't happen Often

I just bought this property about a year ago & a few old fellas that live down the road seen me cutting wood so they stopped by & were telling me what to cut & what to leave alone. They kept pointing to those hedge looking trees & saying get rid of that damn ironwood & those piss elm over there!
I'd guess Osage orange (also called Hedge apple). Maybe Mulberry??? Post a pic if you think of it.

oh I remember what the mulberry trees look like!! Got into one before church one Sunday & added about 4 new colors to my new suit. Had to go pick a switch from that damn tree! Will never forget it lol

You guys have been awesome with the knowledgeable responses,thanks!!i will try to get pics tomorrow (if my memory allows)

Back