Husky Oil Cap 501564504 Where oh where are you?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi_po

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Husqvarna 65 Chainsaw manufactured in 1971 in fantastic condition -- except the oil cap has a leak. The cap for this model is 501564504, but every part supplier I've checked online says it's no longer available. I'm hoping someone in this forum might know where I can find this replacement cap?

Husqvarna Practica 65 ASS Sweden 0650 147399

I'm going to try uploading two images: One showing the oil flow from the fron of the cap; and, the other image of the inside of the cap. I'm new to posting images so don't really know what I'm doing...

43294874_1738005262995278_4812028087959027712_o.jpg

44940984_1738005252995279_2999110181725405184_o.jpg

I'm surprised their is no aftermarket one available. Have you checked HL supply? You could take it to a hardware store and try to find a new o ring that will fit it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Thanx Ammoaddict, I'm trying to sort through HL Supply right now. i was able to get new rubber washer/ gasket rings for the caps, but it seems like a hairline crack in the cap itself. I was thinking maybe JB Weld inside the cap if I clean it up good, but kinda worried the oil could break that down over time -- She's 47 years old & it'd just be nice to give her new caps...

Yep, that helps. We had some of those, I will see if I can find them at my Dads house. We used to keep all the old stuff but he got tired of moving it all around and got rid of a BUNCH of it. It may be a few days before I can get over there to look but IF we have one its yours free of charge. Don't stop looking for one though because I cant be sure we have one. Those caps had the tank vents built into them btw. That's what the small hole in it is for

The gas cap and the oil cap are different on those saws btw. I don't THINK the gas cap is vented like the oil cap is. If memory serves me, the oil caps typically leaked even when brand new. The reason Im telling you all of this is so if you run across a GAS cap instead of an oil cap, your oiler wont be able to pump oil against the vacuum created by the sealed gas cap.

LOL its been so long I cant remember if they had brakes or not! The very first Husqvarnas we had were almost round as a ball, you had to sit them down against a tree around here or you would have to go to the bottom of the holler to get it after it rolled away! Also they had the plug wire exposed and would LIGHT YOU UP if you didn't pay attention to how you held them!

LOL its been so long I cant remember if they had brakes or not! The very first Husqvarnas we had were almost round as a ball, you had to sit them down against a tree around here or you would have to go to the bottom of the holler to get it after it rolled away! Also they had the plug wire exposed and would LIGHT YOU UP if you didn't pay attention to how you held them!
That's so funny! I'm 52yo & the first saw I learned to run was a big round cast iron Husky! I loved that saw I was 18 & had just got a job with the DNR cleaning up a tornado zone. It was a wild ride all the different tensions in bent trees but that old Husky was hungry always. Yes, both the oil & gas caps have the bleeder holes, but the fuel cap has a different part number. This saw is a straight AB 65, not the L. It's known for a vapor lock issue which can be corrected by removing the check ball. When I saw the bleeder holes on the oil cap I also figured, "well, it just leaks" but it leaks enough that if you set the saw down for a week, you'll be picking it up from a patch of oil....not cool. If you happen to find one & can get it to me, I will certainly compensate you. Thanks for replying to my post!

Hmmm. I didn't realize they were vented caps. No wonder they are so hard to find. I'm still trying to picture a 65 in my mind. Does it have a chain break?

No chain break on mine, which I think is pretty cool. Not sure about other productions of this same model though as I've seen identical 65's with the brake. I have a video on YouTube I posted of this one running....I'll see if I can post it... Video worked on posting above at start of thread....

Yeah, that would be great. My first new saw purchase was a 1985 Husqvarna 50. I still have it and it still runs good.

I'm a Stihl man all the way, running all the 0XX series up to the 088 through the 90's, but even more Stihl love when the MS series came out with the compression release, though, I'm still on the fence with their easy recoil system -- strange. Otherwise, Husky & Johnsered. No one else comes close.

I restored a few of the 65 and 77 Husqvarna saws for a friend, he wanted them to look like new and all the parts used were OEM. On the early 65 the fuel and oil caps were both the same, part # 501499-01. On the 65 L they had different part numbers as the fuel cap used a duck valve for one way venting. The 65 models had the sparkplug under the top cover, the 77 sparkplug boot protruded up through the cover.

I found the OEM partNo501564504 and its perfect on my 65, except the color is grey rather than black so I just ordered a matching gas cap -- very cool to have a 47yo strong semi-restored Husky with new caps :)
45691842_1756153604513777_8336259559911849984_o.jpg

45614014_1756153707847100_8964140283453243392_o.jpg

Another Husqvarna expert just told me this saw is from 1981, not 1971, as the other Hsqvarna had told me. The bar is stamped 1971, along with a lot of other martian code which I can't interpret, so now I'm even more confused....0-380-72 3/8 2050 0396TS View attachment 684951

I am no Husqvarna expert but the early A65 like yours came without a chainbrake , they were a late 60`s ,early 70`s era saw, the 65L came later and they had chainbrakes. I would think mid 70`s would be a close guess as to when the 65L came out with a chainbrake.

Back