Husky starting woes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loop1

Reaction score
I have a Husky rancher 44 that refuses to start. If I spray ether on the air cleaner it fires and once and quickly dies. Even after many tugs on the starter the plug comes out dry. I have replaced fuel line and filter, and the carb is brand new. Any thoughts would be apprciated. Thanks from new user loop1

Is the fuel getting to the carb? Pull the line off and see if any is there.Did you replace the fuel filter inside the tank? Also check the tank vent to make sure its not blocked. I'm not sure where it is on that saw, usually their in the gas cap. Make sure the carb is bolted down good and sealed so there is no vacume leaks. I'm pretty sure fuel is not getting to the carb but. Check your spark if its a fat blue spark your ok anything else and either plug is bad or ignition module. Good luck!

[Edited by Pioneer on 05-13-2001 at 04:39 PM]

Are you using freshly mixed fuel? Old fuel gets gummy and plugs up filters, lines, and carbs. Check the mixture settings on the carb if it has any. They should be 1 - 1.5 turns out to start. Was the new carb installed properly? All fuel lines and vents hooked up? Finally, don't use that ether too much. You may end up scoring the cylinder from lack of lubrication.
Good luck
Brett

I would try cleaning the tank right out since you have changed just about everything else. Also make sure the choke is closing fully when it is applied. Also make sure it opens back up when it is supposed to.

Have you ever had it started after purchasing the new carb? New carbs need help sometimes to draw the fuel in as the diaphrams have never pumped anything gas before. Rubber might need lubed as they could have dried sitting in someones stock. If you are pulling and pulling and you get a fire after throwing in some ether. I dont think you are getting gas. If you are pulling that much, it should be flooded if it was drawing fuel. How is the compression?

[Edited by Darin on 05-14-2001 at 12:14 AM]

Yes, I think the answer is above. The fact that it will fire on ether shows you have a spark, and a dry plug and a sore arm points to no fuel. (I won't say this, but to confirm it, one could put some mixed gas in a spray bottle, and have a duly fire-suited and fearless assistant manually feed the carb as you, also duly fire-suited and more fearless, pull and start the saw on that gas. If it runs, you have a supply problem. Ofcourse, I didn't say this and would not recommend that you try this at home). ;)

Greetings Loop1,

I have a Rancher 44 that runs, but it may need a fuel line and filter. I have both but can't figure out how to install them because the line is so short. If I pull the fuel line how do I connect the new one along with the filter? Did you have to split the tank (not sure that's even possible...)?

Thanks

You may have no impulse which will mean no fuel being pumped. Are you sure the gaskets etc between the cylinder and the carb have the holes lined up for the impulse? Next thing I would be questioning is the quality of the replacement carb

Back