Husky vs. Stihl - Which has better torque?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flipjack

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Which has better low end torque Husky or Stihl? Most people tell me that Stihl has better low end torque but Husky has better high end performance?

You can make better apple pie with raisins than you can with dates. I don't know any company that makes torque.

Crofter,

Electromotive Diesel Division of GM, they make torque. Also General Electric Locomotive Division, they are in the torque business. I think all the other engine makers buy their torque from these or similar sources.

By the way, who does make the very largest internal combustion engines in the world?

I think someone posted pics. on here of a Marine engine from Japan some 80 feet in length, bore around 1 metre x 16 cyl. I dont think it makes torque though; but lots of Kilo Newtons!

Thats the sucker!

I lied about the number of cylinders and it is rated in pounds feet not Kilo Newtons. No plastic crankcases here!

Despite what some will say I have found that husky in most cases have wide powerbands, yet still rev out better than a Stihl. Even if the Stihl has more power and cuts slightly faster the Husky feel faster because of this.
One look at the port layout of the two makes really tells the story.
BTW my comments are in regards to the ms 440, 372 xp and the ms260, 346xp.

Hi Steve, I think the 385 has the most low end torque. I tested it out with the chain on backwards and the idle speed turned up to where the chain was just turning. It took 8.63 seconds to cut thru inch thick Ash bark.
John

xander9727; Yes, agreed, but is it better torque or is it some kind of low, degraded, offshore, JapMax torque. If you're gonna talk the tork, you gotta know the lingo. You have to know your torque in all its subtleties. Is there any such thing as pure torque?

Originally posted by flipjack
Which has better low end torque Husky or Stihl? Most people tell me that Stihl has better low end torque but Husky has better high end performance?

Notice Flipjack hasnt been back to clarify what he was asking about. Mechanical engineer according to profile? Hmm... Think more than a few here smell TROLL!

I think if you charted the torque/rpm/hp curves you would see slight variations that would jump around model to model and back and forth among the top brands. I would think it should be almost automatic to adjust to the different feel. I had about a 20 year gap from older saws to the newer higher revving saws like the 260 and 372. That indeed did take a bit of getting used to. you have to retune your ear for what to expect. Usually you can trade off a bit less torqe for more rpm or vice versa.

Re: Re: Husky vs. Stihl - Which has better torque?

Originally posted by Crofter
Notice Flipjack hasnt been back to clarify what he was asking about. Mechanical engineer according to profile? Hmm... Think more than a few here smell TROLL!

Flipjack sure has been paying attention, but has not seen the conversation going anywhere usefull, so I kept my pie hole shut.

Let's say I took a 357 xp & an 036 with a 24" bar and tried to push them through a big piece of hardwood to the point that both saws began to bog down. I would assume the one with better low end performance (or torque) would cut better? Which is it:p

Re: Re: Re: Husky vs. Stihl - Which has better torque?

Originally posted by flipjack
Let's say I took a 357 xp & an 036 with a 24" bar and tried to push them through a big piece of hardwood to the point that both saws began to bog down. I would assume the one with better low end performance (or torque) would cut better? Which is it:p

357!!!

Back