Husky's new 339XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It might be just me, but I think a saw may feel a lot different depending on how strong you are, how big your hands are and how long your arms are. Im used to running old Homelites, so a Husky 55 is like picking up a feather, I can run one of my little saws one-handed pretty easily. I also agree with SawitAll on the "plasticky" feel, like picking up one of the new Homelites or Mac's. Theres plenty of plasticky Stihls nowdays too.

Well said. The operator's size, capabilities, experience and expectations are the most important factors when choosing a tool. It is amazing when what feels heavy and awkward to some can be perfect to others.

However, "plasticky" usually is "plasticky" to everyone.

For the price, it's hard to beat the MS180. IMPO, for the little jobs that most of these saws accomplish, it's hard to justify the outrageous price. If you don't plan on using the saw every day all day, i think the 180 will last a lifetime.

I've seen the 339xp, and its nearly the same price as the 346xp.

Last weekend at Spikes GTG the new edition 346xp was priced at $425. When I got the 339xp it was $479. I'd go with the 346 but I allready have two! I just like the feel and balance of the 339. Allmost bought a 336 a few years ago but the saw shop was closing down and all the saws were gone. I use the 339 doing tree trimming work too. The 13" bar that Troll send me get's lots of use. Thank-you SawTroll!!!!

The pics on the Husky site did look a little funny, I think due to an oversized rear handle that you can easily grip with gloves on. But it is hard to find a pro grade rear handle saw in that cc size that doesn't suck (009) so I am leaning twoard this saw.

Keep leaning!!!!! :clap: :clap:

Btw, it isn't a new model - only in the US.

It was revamped at the same time as the top-handle counterparts - mine say "New Edition" on it - but as I said the old one never was in the US, only the 336.

It is no coinsidence that the rear handle is like it is - well thought out!

Last weekend at Spikes GTG the new edition 346xp was priced at $425. When I got the 339xp it was $479. I'd go with the 346 but I allready have two! I just like the feel and balance of the 339. Allmost bought a 336 a few years ago but the saw shop was closing down and all the saws were gone. I use the 339 doing tree trimming work too. The 13" bar that Troll send me get's lots of use. Thank-you SawTroll!!!!

Nice that you like it! :cheers:

Both that one and the one in the pics are Norwegian made Husky bars, not rebadged Oregon.

Is the clutch on the 339 xp inboard or outboard? I ask this since I am just now getting my nearly antique but in great shape Jonsred 520 SP going again. It is a great saw but since that one (new in 1983) I have had Stihls and I had forgotten what a PIA an outboard clutch is.

Is the clutch on the 339 xp inboard or outboard? I ask this since I am just now getting my nearly antique but in great shape Jonsred 520 SP going again. It is a great saw but since that one (new in 1983) I have had Stihls and I had forgotten what a PIA an outboard clutch is.

it is outboard, but I don't agree about the PIA thing - not on small saws.

My my what a ugly looking saw.:cry: For that kind of money the ms200 would be a better choice since it is the small saw all others are judged by.

The MS200 lives on old traditions as do the MS260. People buy them even if there are better options. Now I do agree that the MS200 is by far superior to the MS260. But the 339XP has 0,325, more power and nicer handling. What else would you want ?

The MS200 lives on old traditions as do the MS260. People buy them even if there are better options. Now I do agree that the MS200 is by far superior to the MS260. But the 339XP has 0,325, more power and nicer handling. What else would you want ?

The price is on 353 level, and not 346xp level here - and the MS200 isn't much more - but why pay more for a lesser saw????

:cheers: :cheers:

The 200 handles fine.
I picked up a 339XP at a dealer and it was like holding a Poulan with all of the plastic and the goofy choke lever.

The 339xp handles more like a larger saw, just lighter - the MS200 just is tiny and puts the hands too close together imo.

The 339 is also great for one-handed limbing of smaller spruce etc, but I guess they will never admit that was the original design idea.........

Last edited:
The 339xp handles more like a larger saw, just lighter - the MS200 just is tiny and puts the hands too close together imo.

The 339 is also great for one-handed limbing of smaller spruce etc, but I guess they will never admit that was the original design idea.........

The 339 handles like a larger saw because it is larger. The 200 is compact, your left and right hand are not a mile apart. I don't see how the 339 could be used one handed, looks to be way imbalanced.

Last edited:
Troll,
Pricing really is different on your side of the pond. The 353 is about $400 here, and the MS200 is about $600. That is real close to an MS260Pro or MS361. The 346XP and 339XP are both around $450.

As for handling, the rear handle MS200 should put the hands far enough apart to make it useable on the ground. I hope that you weren't trying to compare the top handle 200 to the 339xp.

For a guy with a bad back, that 339xp should get a lot of use.

Troll,
Pricing really is different on your side of the pond. The 353 is about $400 here, and the MS200 is about $600. That is real close to an MS260Pro or MS361. The 346XP and 339XP are both around $450.

As for handling, the rear handle MS200 should put the hands far enough apart to make it useable on the ground. I hope that you weren't trying to compare the top handle 200 to the 339xp.

For a guy with a bad back, that 339xp should get a lot of use.

In NOK here, the 353g and 339xp is about 5000, 346xp/xpg about 7000 (all "sale" prices, but my dealer seem to allways have them on sale) - 361 is about 5900, but with heated handles it is over 7000 - 260 pro is about 5200, heated about 6000.

The 441W is 7900, and the 372xpg 9300 - but I was never in doubt......

Stihl has a much higher premium on heated versions than Husky on the smaller saws, but 441 and above isn't sold without it.

Edit, the MS200 is about 5500 here.

Last edited:
In NOK here, the 353g and 339xp is about 5000, 346xp/xpg about 7000 (all "sale" prices, but my dealer seem to allways have them on sale) - 361 is about 5900, but with heated handles it is over 7000 - 260 pro is about 5200, heated about 6000.

Stihl has a much higher premium on heated versions than Husky on the smaller saws, but 441 and above isn't sold without it.

ST is that in $ !!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back