Husky's new 339XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelofDarkness

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I jut saw this saw on the Husky website and it looks interesting. I like the little "quick grab-it" saws for smaller jobs but I can never find a saw that size that has professional features and isn't a turd (009 anyone?) It looks like a cool saw and would do well with a 14" bar, anything over 12" calls for more cc's anyhow. I am looking to replace my ailing Echo CS-345 that has been nothing but problems and it looks like a good contender.

Saw Troll has one and he likes it.

That should be reason enough to buy one. I bet it really screams and cuts fast. I cant seem to find nice compact modern saws other than top handles, and I don't want a top handle unless I am climbing. All the newer homeowner saws in the 30-40cc class have huge saw bodies and look clumsy to use with a 14" bar.

Have you checked out a 346XP New Edition?

Yeah looked at it but I am more interested in a bit smaller saw for quick jobs. My 55 handles medium sized cutting pretty well, I might look at one to replace my aging 55 in a year or so, but I have a greater need to replace my 5hitty Echo so I don't have to always use my EMAB with no chain brake for small cutting jobs.

Saw Troll has one and he likes it.

Yes I do!!! :cheers:

It is a very nice handling little saw, despite the somewhat odd looks (Hi Ultra!).

The only serious competition really is the rear-handle MS200, but imo the Husky wins, mainly based on ergonomics and handling, but it also has a larger engine with a tad pore power.

The only thing I don't like is the "plastic" handlebar - and that is just for looks....

A 13" bar is standard here, and just right imo.

Last edited:
The pics on the Husky site did look a little funny, I think due to an oversized rear handle that you can easily grip with gloves on. But it is hard to find a pro grade rear handle saw in that cc size that doesn't suck (009) so I am leaning twoard this saw.

I wanted to resurrect this thread as I am unable to find much user info on this saw. Hoping more have been used since 02/08... I am looking for an upper quality saw for limbing crown down when tree is on ground, as well as a light carry saw for clearing trails.

Currently using a cheap Poulan 14" & just want to upgrade. Already have the mid sized saws in sig-- just need a little brother and really like the feel/ergos of my Huskys.

I have handled the MS200 and MS180 and could live with the modded 180, just want to exhaust info on the 339XP real world performance first.

Thanks,
2Door

Blsnelling,
Have read good things about the MS180 and could live with it just fine-- just exploring all options before I buy. The Husky has a bit more umph for the same weight- the Stihl has the lower price- I respect the quality of both companies.
Something just didn't feel good with the MS200... I know, I know, just felt odd handling it and moving it around in the store. Just what I am used to I guess.

2Door

Blsnelling,
Have read good things about the MS180 and could live with it just fine-- just exploring all options before I buy. The Husky has a bit more umph for the same weight- the Stihl has the lower price- I respect the quality of both companies.
Something just didn't feel good with the MS200... I know, I know, just felt odd handling it and moving it around in the store. Just what I am used to I guess.

2Door

It is easy to dismiss the MS200, after feeling the handling and more power of the 339xp.

I've seen the 339xp, and its nearly the same price as the 346xp. The comparable Stihl would be the rear handle MS200 for about $150 more.:jawdrop: For a great quality, lightweight saw in the same weight and power range, look for a Makita DCS401 or Dolmar PS-401:chainsaw: . You can find the Makitas on Ebay for less than $250 new. The new Dolmar 420 is a bit heavier, but more powerful as well.

Husky's new edition 339XP

I bought a 339XP about 4 months ago. Been using it for small wood and limbs. This saw is very light and fun to use. It has that XP preformance. But this saw is for small wood only. I like the saw and allways enjoy using it!

p101000305zv0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

p101000605ee9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nice saw man!

I thought about getting one but I usually use one of my Homelites for a smaller saw. I can sling around my Husky 55 pretty easily too, it does 95% of my odd job cutting.

I bought one 2 weeks ago. Have had very little chance to use it yet, but what I have done with has impressed me.

My intention is cleaning out smaller trees (4 to 8 inches) along a mile or 2 of creek bank.

It is easy to dismiss the MS200, after feeling the handling and more power of the 339xp.

The 200 handles fine.
I picked up a 339XP at a dealer and it was like holding a Poulan with all of the plastic and the goofy choke lever.

It might be just me, but I think a saw may feel a lot different depending on how strong you are, how big your hands are and how long your arms are. Im used to running old Homelites, so a Husky 55 is like picking up a feather, I can run one of my little saws one-handed pretty easily. I also agree with SawitAll on the "plasticky" feel, like picking up one of the new Homelites or Mac's. Theres plenty of plasticky Stihls nowdays too.

Latest posts

Back