• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Husquarna 550 xp - 545 - vs Dolmar 5105

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well as you know the Dolly won out . 5 tanks through her bucking up some 12 , 14 & 16" maple . I will probably do the final double D carb tuning tomorrow prior to heading to Moose Camp with the family . Question for Tim , is there any appreciable benefit to upgrading to a aftermarket bar & chain for my intended light bushing and limbing that I intend to utilize the 5105 H for primarily ? I have substituted Oregon b&c on my other Huskys , Pioneers & even my Stihl and Echo,s !

Well as you know the Dolly won out . 5 tanks through her bucking up some 12 , 14 & 16" maple . I will probably do the final double D carb tuning tomorrow prior to heading to Moose Camp with the family . Question for Tim , is there any appreciable benefit to upgrading to a aftermarket bar & chain for my intended light bushing and limbing that I intend to utilize the 5105 H for primarily ? I have substituted Oregon b&c on my other Huskys , Pioneers & even my Stihl and Echo,s !
If you really want it to be lighter sure there's some benefit. I use the standard laminate bars on my small saws rather than the replaceable tip ones because they are lighter. If you find yourself getting tired running it and you're near your cans, only fill up the tanks half way, it will be lighter and you'll get a well needed rest earlier. Some of the best solutions to problems are the cheapest too.

I like your style and respect for elders Brett ! lol. Yeah at 65 the lighter the better . I,am still active but the bucking saws of my past are much to heavy for limbing now . Thanks for the simple but effective advice Bud !

I like your style and respect for elders Brett ! lol. Yeah at 65 the lighter the better . I,am still active but the bucking saws of my past are much to heavy for limbing now . Thanks for the simple but effective advice Bud !
Welcome sir.
I reach for the lightest setup to get the job in a reasonable time. I still like to play or I wouldn't have nearly as many 70cc saws as I currently have :surprised3:. While they are fun to play with and the big dogs are great for felling, if I don't have to run them while working I don't. The 50cc and smaller saws get the most use, but when you need to run a 24" it's nice to have a 70:chainsaw:.

If I recall that Makita laminate bar is pretty light. At those lengths you don't really lose a ton of weight going to a reduced weight bar, plus you give some back with a replaceable tip. You could go to a 16" .325 setup or possibly explore LP, but then you're wasting all of that delicious Dolmar torque.

Good points Tim , just wondering if there was an upside . The current stock 18" bar is cutting and oiling great for my intended application . I used oilimatic Stihl chain for yrs on various saws but in the 90,s switched to Oregon which I prefer for various reasons . Anyhow I will get back to you all once we get set up at Moose Camp ...Cheers !

Latest posts

Back