• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Husqvarna 242

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saw Fixr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all,
First time posting, but long time lurker.Never had anything I felt worthy of contributing to, but have gained a wealth of knowledge from many. Thanks to all.
Looking for the pto side crank seal for a 242. Appears to be nla from Husqvarna, but wondering if anyone knows where I might find a “unicorn “.
Saw runs perfect until it warms up. Already found and replaced the flywheel side, which was bad. Confirmed by a P&V test.
Thanks

@Duce, no. I believe that’s the p/n for the flywheel side, which I sourced locally and replaced. Looks like I need 503504301, for the pto side.It’s marked 17.8-26.2-3.6 on the seal. Thanks

I also tried to get p/n 501614901, that looks like it was a substitute p/n, but it’s nla as well.
Looks like this seal was used on several different models, so I can’t understand why someone wouldn’t be producing these...... just venting some frustration, sorry for the rant..

Thanks Deaves. I swear that wasn’t on there when I searched last. I’m watching it. My concern would putting a used seal I there. Especially a $35 one! The one I took out appears good, but it’s pretty hard. I very well may have no other option though.

Update:
After I posted this thread, I contacted a Husqvarna dealer I used to frequent, when I lived on the east coast years ago. He went the extra mile for me,and found that these seals were going to be available from Husqvarna, for shipping in mid September. Got it today in the mail.

So.. if anyone has one of these saw models, relegated to the shelf in lieu of a crank seal, they’re available.

Update:
After I posted this thread, I contacted a Husqvarna dealer I used to frequent, when I lived on the east coast years ago. He went the extra mile for me,and found that these seals were going to be available from Husqvarna, for shipping in mid September. Got it today in the mail.

So.. if anyone has one of these saw models, relegated to the shelf in lieu of a crank seal, they’re available.
Thank you sir, good info.

I purchased several of those seals this summer from a dealer in the UK. they are not cheap, and the shipping was outrageous, but they've kept my Husky 42's and 238's running. waiting for more to arrive net week.

Yeah, I hear you on the expensive side. It was almost $14 for the seal, plus shipping, compared to the flywheel side, which is a standard seal at $4. But... if it keeps the saw out of the scrap pile.....

It’s been a while, and I don’t have the saw anymore, but for the flywheel side, it was a standard size seal, which I purchased from Whisler Bearing. Any bearing supply house should have it. It was under $5.
The clutch side was bought from a dealer. I gave him the part number that I noted in an above post
and he got me one, saying that Husqvarna was procuring them again. It took almost 3 months to get it, so I assume he probably didn’t get it from anyone other than husky... If you can’t find it, pm me and I’ll forward you their contact info.

The clutch side seal dimensions are 17.8-26.2-3.6.
Best of luck...

flywheel side: 503 26 02-02 $9.99 ea
PTO side: 501 61 49-01 $12.00 ea

I just bought six of each about a month ago from my local dealer here in MA. Waited a while for fulfillment from Husqvarna, but I got them.

Back