Husqvarna 254 (xp?)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A metal chainbrake from any of the 254 to 262 series saws will work on that saw if you can find one. They're NLA from Husky. 503747072.
You may need to remove the small movement limiter pin inside the metal brake if you crankcase doesn't have the hole for it. Also you may need to modify the metal brake by removing a very small amount of material just up from the tab slots where the brake would contact the crankcase. It depends on the vintage of your crankcases.
I agree with you about the Micky mouse plastic brake and tabs. Not one of Huskies better ideas IMO.
I'm glad you got it running. I have an 026 with a 260 top. All new and somewhat modded. My 254 smokes it.
Good luck with your build.

Well after putting 2 tanks through this old saw I'll say I'm impressed. It took a little bit of fiddling to get the choke to work right. There was a burr on the high idle lock that wouldn't allow it to idle down.

Definitely makes my 026 look stupid. I still like the 026 but the 254 has quite a bit more power. Runs smoother as well. The chain oils nice even when cutting ash. I really like it with the 16" 3/8 bar and chain combo.

Thanks for your tips and knowledge that I acquired from this forum. It helped me successfully tear down and rebuild this basket case. I have about $350 dollars in it and I have a nice pro grade saw that I can fix myself.

Thanks again,
Lee

Back