Husqvarna 266 carburetor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has the metal anti kickback bar but on back of cover over carburetor it has xp on it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

A comment to the links;

As far as I know, the HS 224 was the common carb on late production 266SE and on at least Swedish made 266XP saws. There was a Walbro substitute on some saws though.

The HS 163 that was used on most 266SE saws (up to some time in 1985) has a smaller venturi.

You can buy a new 266/268 Xp carb on eBay.
If we ported the cylinder and did the muffler mod on a 266xp would a bigger carb from a 268/288 fit the 266?

Husky 162 se used the 163a carb also.I have a 266 xp and a 266se.The se had a 163a carb I switched to the hs 224 carb I did not notice any difference in performance.The 266se and 266xp are dead equal. XP markings are like long chain saw bars they both make their owners feel bigger and more powerful ..Its like laundry soap ads
Two times as powerful.Two times more powerful than what?
Kash

Husky 162 se used the 163a carb also.I have a 266 xp and a 266se.The se had a 163a carb I switched to the hs 224 carb I did not notice any difference in performance.The 266se and 266xp are dead equal. XP markings are like long chain saw bars they both make their owners feel bigger and more powerful ..Its like laundry soap ads
Kash
As far as I know there is zero difference between a late production 266SE and an early 266XP, except the decals. None of the many known technical updates (service bulletins) to the model corresponded with the designation change in time.

The XP designation just replaced the SE and CD designations around 1986 to 1988, no doubt just for marketing purposes.

As I recall it, the 61 (mostly) had the HS 163 as well, up to the major upgrade of the model around week 7 1991. This was the last model in the "family" to get a 17.5 mm carb.

Kash

Early (pre 85') 266se saws have different port timing and are lazy compared to later 266se/266xp saws.

Its easy to spot an early 266 as the cylinder number is zn11 vs. Zn13.

As for which carbs run best I'm not sure. My ported 266se has an HS 163a and runs like a scalded cat.

I was going to put a bigger carb on that saw but I see no need at this point.

A comment to the links;

As far as I know, the HS 224 was the common carb on late production 266SE and on at least Swedish made 266XP saws. There was a Walbro substitute on some saws though.

The HS 163 that was used on most 266SE saws (up to some time in 1985) has a smaller venturi.

Troll, just a thought that gives us choices is fuel economy vs a increase in power between the smaller Venturi and larger Venturi carbs. If we’re using longer bars the larger carb might be better.? Just thinking out loud.

Troll, just a thought that gives us choices is fuel economy vs a increase in power between the smaller Venturi and larger Venturi carbs. If we’re using longer bars the larger carb might be better.? Just thinking out loud.
My (surely somewhat uneducated/simplified) view is that a larger carb venturi only helps if the air intake, cylinder intake, cylinder porting and exhaust also are up to the task of creating a larger flow trough the system (with the correct air to fuel mix).

On some (stock) saws the carb venturi is the (worst) choke point of that "chain" - but not necessarily on all of them.

This saw may be a 268
Look at piston
Someone pointed it out ,
fc30246df68d81bf1187ffb03149b2b8.jpg
abed5910d4ffe914a1fe1eafe36dba1c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My (surely somewhat uneducated/simplified) view is that a larger carb venturi only helps if the air intake, cylinder intake, cylinder porting and exhaust also are up to the task of creating a larger flow trough the system (with the correct air to fuel mix).

On some (stock) saws the carb venturi is the (worst) choke point of that "chain" - but not necessarily on all of them.
You are right on the money there my friend. Just slapping on a larger venturi carb on just any saw will not necessarily make a jump in hp., the whole system has to balance out. Its the reason that just porting a cylinder and piston to a certain set of numbers ,intake, exhaust, transfers and size will not produce the results desired unless the rest of the intake, delivery and exhaust are not taken into consideration.

Thanks my friend!

Btw, as far as I have been able to find out, there was a .1 kW/.1 hp increase (in specs) between an early and a late 266SE.

Of course, the different numbers I have seen isn't necessarily connected to the larger carb of the late ones - but it is a plausible theory.

Kash
there was an early 266se that had a smaller intake port and a full skirt windowed piston

Back