Husqvarna 266xp value?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strange_Days

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking at a used saw in really good shape. I don't know the age its a huskqvarna 266xp and it looks pretty much new. The guys asking $400 (cdn) for it. I'm close to getting my first saw and I was saving for either a ms361, a husky 357xp or maybe even a 372xp. Is it worth it to wait and spend the few extra bucks for a new saw or is this a good deal? appreciate any comments as we don't see many used saws come up for sale around here it'll probably go pretty quick.

Thanks

Here in the maritimes the 266XP is considered a very good chainsaw , prefered over the 365. One in real good shape goes for between $450-$500.
The one in the pict below has only 2 tanks of gas through it, I have offers of $550. on it

IMG_1970.jpg

IMG_1972.jpg

Pioneerguy600

Thanks, good to know that its in the right ballpark. I've only used crappy saws for years until I borrowed my friends 372xp the other day to cut up some large freefalls in my yard and MAN, what a difference. I've been saving for a while now to get a good saw but if I can get a deal on a good older saw that will serve the purpose I'm all for that!

Thanks, good to know that its in the right ballpark. I've only used crappy saws for years until I borrowed my friends 372xp the other day to cut up some large freefalls in my yard and MAN, what a difference. I've been saving for a while now to get a good saw but if I can get a deal on a good older saw that will serve the purpose I'm all for that!

The 266XP is not quite as powerful as the 372XP but it will cut as quickly in wood up to 12-16" . We use them side by side bucking hardwood and there is only marginal differences in cutting speed in the smaller wood. The 372 comes out ahead on bigger cuts, that said the majority of cuts around here is in smaller wood. The 266XP is a pro saw in all ways and would last an average user a lifetime as they are designed to run for 2000 hours if maintained properly.
Pioneerguy600

I have a 266SE which is about the same saw. You will not be disappointed with the 266XP. My 266 is well used but still has 170PSI and is rock solid. It's hard to explain how well built it feels after years of using cheap saws. I pull it out for any bigger stuff and it just goes right through it. I am so happy with the 266, I got a 272xp as a project. I've become a convert when it comes to bigger saws. They are essential now. :chainsaw:

Last edited:
I had two new 266xp saws, in '88 and in '93. Used hard, all day, great saw, tougher than the 300 series. Better than a 365, don't care what anyone says. If it doesn't say XP, its not a worthy Husky saw.

I had two new 266xp saws, in '88 and in '93. Used hard, all day, great saw, tougher than the 300 series. Better than a 365, don't care what anyone says. If it doesn't say XP, its not a worthy Husky saw.

Good to hear. I've been very impressed with the build quality of my 266SE. Newer is not always better.

266 was fabulous

I was in charge of a smokejumper base saw shop where we had over 2 dozen of those 266's.

I would get Jumpers from Stihl bases coming in all the time asking who did those saws?

I took credit.
Saws weren't worth much, I just did a great job.

==============

That tell you how good a 266 is?

well, looks like I'll have to have a closer look at this saw then. I don't quite need the power of the 372 but it'd be nice to come close and a 372 new around here is $995 +tax. Thanks for the replies, I'll post a pic if I do end up with it :)

Yesterday I got a 266xp to fix for a co worker. I think it has an air leak because the owner told me it dies after running for a few minutes.

Under darkness I fired it up last night with some fresh mix and put it to some hardwood to test it out and wow... I love it! Just dont tell my ms361.

The exhaust note sings through-bread. I shut it down after a few minutes before it could lean out and stall although it showed no indication of running lean in fact it is set a tad rich on the High speed needle.

This saw is the perfect firewood saw. A little old and not too pretty but when the chain hits the wood a grin comes to the cutters face (albeit an evil grin).

I already tried to play that on the owner... But there seems to be an attachment!

Here in the maritimes the 266XP is considered a very good chainsaw , prefered over the 365. One in real good shape goes for between $450-$500.
The one in the pict below has only 2 tanks of gas through it, I have offers of $550. on it

IMG_1970.jpg

IMG_1972.jpg

Pioneerguy600

Wow that saw is in good shape! I wish my two 266's were that clean. Even dirty I love my saws.

I'm looking at a used saw in really good shape. I don't know the age its a huskqvarna 266xp and it looks pretty much new. The guys asking $400 (cdn) for it. I'm close to getting my first saw and I was saving for either a ms361, a husky 357xp or maybe even a 372xp. Is it worth it to wait and spend the few extra bucks for a new saw or is this a good deal? appreciate any comments as we don't see many used saws come up for sale around here it'll probably go pretty quick.

Thanks

When I used them in 81- 82 they sold for 500 cdn. Tell the seller that and ask him if he'll take 300. If he resists go to 350. You're not sure at this point if it has any issues. Often those saws have intake piston score, because the filtres in those days allowed fine sawdust particles to get thru.
Gypo

When I used them in 81- 82 they sold for 500 cdn. Tell the seller that and ask him if he'll take 300. If he resists go to 350. You're not sure at this point if it has any issues. Often those saws have intake piston score, because the filtres in those days allowed fine sawdust particles to get thru.
Gypo

Good info Gypo. Thanks.

Does anybody know what years these saws were manufactured?

Hi Guys,
Anyone have a pdf of the manual for the 266XP?
I just purchased a nice used 266 XP and would love a manual.

I found a manual for the straight up 266, is there much difference between the regular 266 and the 266XP as far as a users manual would go?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
Anyone have a pdf of the manual for the 266XP?
I just purchased a nice used 266 XP and would love a manual.

I found a manual for the straight up 266, is there much difference between the regular 266 and the 266XP as far as a users manual would go?

Thanks

Did you find the manual you want?

Back