Husqvarna 266XP which carburetor is best?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonstc6

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a 266XP that is missing the carburetor. When looking at used carburetors, I see there was a Tillotson HS carburetor you could get it a Walbro WS carburetor. Which carburetor would be the better choice? The saw will be stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HS-163A is a good one that also came with the 61. HS-224 is another listed for that model. Kevin above listed another great option. You can also live on the wild side and go with the HS-228a from the 288xp.

One nice thing about this model is that the handles from the 61 on up to the 272 will fit, but it can get confusing because they don't all have the same type of throttle rods. You might want to upload a pic of what you have.

I have a Tillotson HS228C from a 288xp. I wonder how hard it would be to make that work.

Tillotson hs260a
Has been the best performer for me.
Sadly they were 32.00 shipped oem on Amazon
Before they sold out.

Earlier 266's came with theHS-163 and the later ones had the HS-224, which has a bigger venturi and throttle plate.
Pretty noticeable performance difference on the ones I have.
I believe the 272/hs-260 is the same throughput size as the 224.
IIRC there is a difference in the idle screw, 266 carbs it's on the saw and the 272 is on the carb itself...

I assume the HS-163 carb is standard on the 266, while the later 266xp would have the larger Venturi HS-224 carb? Correct?

Seems like the already mentioned hs-228 would be about as close as it gets, maybe just removing the roller and adding a hole for the throttle linkage.
Of course anything with a larger throat and plates will need clearance mods to the intake block and air cleaner elbow...

Wasn’t there a air filter upgrade that came with a new carb? It was in ebay.

Search eBay,,,,,,Husqvarna 266/268 air filter upgrade

I’m back to square 1 pretty much. Walbro WS carburetor I have won’t pump gas.

Latest posts

Back