Husqvarna 268 XP (Special) restoration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow - a slide rule vernier! I wonder how many people here have ever used one? @Dahmer

Also, you might want to re-install the chain catcher. It mounts in that square hole below the bar mounting pad and uses the anti-vibe mount bolt. They are super cheap online Husqvarna part number 503-53-58-01.

Wow - a slide rule vernier! I wonder how many people here have ever used one? @Dahmer

Also, you might want to re-install the chain catcher. It mounts in that square hole below the bar mounting pad and uses the anti-vibe mount bolt. They are super cheap online Husqvarna part number 503-53-58-01.
Before dials that’s all there were. You young pups would have been lost.

At the moment I'm waiting for some replacement parts ...
In the meantime I wanna show you the bar and make some questions !!!

27336463_10215749150272321_6787060163669724989_n.jpg
This is the bar and .... to me it does not look in very good conditions

27331914_10215749149352298_1208472834148934749_n.jpg
The point (and also the body) has been filed ... Why does one should file the bar ?
Also what is the big hole for ?

27657167_10215749150352323_3372454944085596580_n.jpg
I see many numbers ... can someone explain to me what they mean?

Is there any reason to buy an husqvarna bar instead of an aftermarket (Oregon?) replacement ?
What bar lenght do you suggest for this Husky ?

That bar doesn't look to bad to me. Bars need to be squared and dressed from time to time. Bar edges don't wear evenly and they need to both be perpendicular to the bar sides and aligned with other in order for the saw to cut straight. Also this wear will cause a "wire edge" on the outside of the bar....this must be filed/ground away.
Those numbers on the bar tell us that it is a 20" long bar (useable length), 0.058" gauge, 3/8" chain pitch, and requires a chain length of 72 drive links.
And yes you may purchase any number of different brand bars and different lengths but you would need to stay with a 3/8" pitch in the correct bar mount or you would also have to change you drive sprocket as well to match.

Thankyou again and again and again Cantdog :bowdown:,
you always get the point . . .
Your answers are very accurate so that I don't have to keep scratching my head :)
Lot of knowledge in this forum, I'm running the same discussion on an italian forum
and have to say that, at least in this case, knowledge is flowing from USA to Italy !!!
Thankyou again !!!

Hello guys :),
I did not disappear ... I'm still waiting for some replacement parts :omg:

In the meantime I've found an interesting video about restoring motorcycle plastics :

Do you think it's suitable for chainsaw platics ?
Some very small areas on my chainsaw could benefit from a light buffing with that polishing wheel !!!
Let me know what you think ;)

Hello guys :),
I did not disappear ... I'm still waiting for some replacement parts :omg:

In the meantime I've found an interesting video about restoring motorcycle plastics :

Do you think it's suitable for chainsaw platics ?
Some very small areas on my chainsaw could benefit from a light buffing with that polishing wheel !!!
Let me know what you think ;)

It is always hard to know how things will react. The Husky plastics are always a challenge as the various pieces on the same saw are made from different plastics hence the reason why one part of the saw turns white, another turns brown, and other parts retain a decent color.

The best way is to try it out on a piece that you can afford to throw away (or use it "ugly").

I've seen a good job done on a motorbike fairing where it was faded and he lightly shaved it with a Stanley knife blade to remove the faded face off the plastic. I be careful if I was going to attempt it

I just started reading this thread now.

The bar looks to have a burr/wire edge along the bottom.
The nose picture has a burr on the top and bottom.
The picture of the number markings shows a burr on the bottom.

For what its worth, I like the oil tank vent in the filler cap, somewhat better.
Putting them behind the guide bar, just seems to be a blockage problem waiting to occur.
I assume that it's done to route any over flow oil to the bar & chain.

Just read through this thread, NICE job @mikey. Skipped along at time through it but did you ever obtain a IPL or work shop manual for this saw? Heres a broad one below if not that covers multiple. I thought I had 268 alone but Im sure you either got it already or someone will now upload. If not there is always the "beg for manuals" thread where everyone just shares ipls and manuals View attachment husqvarna workshop manual chainsaws.pdf

Just read through this thread, NICE job @mikey. Skipped along at time through it but did you ever obtain a IPL or work shop manual for this saw? Heres a broad one below if not that covers multiple. I thought I had 268 alone but Im sure you either got it already or someone will now upload. If not there is always the "beg for manuals" thread where everyone just shares ipls and manuals View attachment 640793

Thankyou very much for your help . . .
I already have the husqvarna workshop manual (the broad one )
but at the moment it didn't help much, it is so messy : i.e. I could not find informations/directions on replacing the oil tank vent . . .
Luckily some forum members helped more than the manual !!!
I know this restoration is taking me ages but with a 5 months old daughter the chainsaw can wait !!!!

Keep us posted. Looks like your fussy with your work. Do you plan to rebuild to motor as well?

" . . . fussy" ??? You see 10% of my "fussyness" :innocent:

At the moment the saw is performing wonderfully, so I won't touch the engine !!!

Thankyou very much for your help . . .
I already have the husqvarna workshop manual (the broad one )
but at the moment it didn't help much, it is so messy : i.e. I could not find informations/directions on replacing the oil tank vent . . .
Luckily some forum members helped more than the manual !!!
I know this restoration is taking me ages but with a 5 months old daughter the chainsaw can wait !!!!
5 month old.daughter....it seams like.yesterday that my daughter was 5 months old. Now I'm college shopping with her. In a blink of an eye, its that fast. You have 2 things to celebrate, her and a wonderfully operating saw.

Hello you all !!!
After such a long time I'm pleased I can write again and show you where my restoration ended up.
Finishing the saw took me an unbelievable amount of time, I've been very busy with my family and only recently with my daughter being 1 year old,
I had time to finish the job.
I will show you in the next few days what the saw has become after some TLC.

I want to start from the clutch cover,
as always forgive me for my english and for use of improper terminology !!!
This is what the clutch cover looked like at the beginning :
clutch cover 05.jpg

The whole thing looked worn and ugly so I decided to repaint the piece ...

I degreased the piece the best I could and gently have smoothed the surface with some thin sandpaper :

clutch cover 06.jpg

Than I applied some plaster/putty (forgive me) to fill the tiny holes up :

clutch cover 07.jpg

I than sanded and cleaned again the piece and went to my local paint shop where I bought a two parts epoxy in a spray can ( you have to apply it rather quickly before it solidifies into the can)
trying to match the color as much as I could :

clutch cover 09.jpg

Being it my first experience I call it a decent job ... you can also see in the top right corner some other pieces : plastic bumper, decal and chip deflector ready to complete the clutch cover !!!

spring leaf 12.jpg

There was a broken spring leaf (number 1) that I replaced with a new one,
I also noticed that the chain brake band was missing a screw (number 2 ), I promptly replaced it.

After having cleaned all the gunk and after replacing the broken/missing parts the chain brake performed way better than before,
It has been like a night and day difference.

Latest posts

Back