Husqvarna 268 XP (Special) restoration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The exhaust muffler was in bed shape too, it was badly rusted and needed some deep cleaning with a wire brush :

exhaust 13 a.jpg

After that I applied 3 coats of black paint suitable for high temperature components and this was the result :

exhaust 13 b.jpg

Other than the exhaust muffler you can better see the clutch cover completed .

The saw came with the inner spike only so I decided to buy also the outer one to make the saw look a bit more aggressive and appealing,
both were repainted together with the muffler.

Great job!!! Looks really nice. now for the saw together pictures

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Let's go forward ....

The top cover was in decent condition, I didn't go the long route of sanding it in the way shown by the you tube video,
mainly because the lack of time so I decided for a quick cleaning and than applied new decals .

The "Special" decal was a bit confusing, being the saw from 1990 it's still the more powerfull closed port saw but it is not the special one !!!

top cover 01.jpg

New decals being applied :

top cover 02.jpg

top cover 03.jpg

When I tried to fire the engine up after the restoration (the saw has been sitting on the floor for 3/4 months) I had a leak from the fuel tank vent .... so annoying !!!
I had to buy a new vent :

fuel vent 16.jpg

I also installed new inner and outer bar plates, they were not original OEM parts so they needed some fileing to get a perfect fit :

inner and outer plates 17.jpg

I also replaced the switch, the old one did not work once in two :

switch 15 a.jpg switch 15 b.jpg

I also gave some attention to the recoil cover, it's been cleaned and received a new decal :

pulley 14 a.jpg

The pulley for the rope didn't work properly from the beginning, and when I went check it I realized it was damaged and basically almost split in two,
resulting in a weak recover of the starter rope that was, from time to time, partially hanging out . New pulley ready to install :

pulley 14.jpg

And finally this is the end of the journey :

1.jpg

2.jpg 3.jpg

The saw it's not perfect and not restored to meet my usual standards, but with the time I had to work on it, despite all this, I'm very pleased with the result....
The saw was and still is a beast, I'm very much impressed with its power !!!
I hope you enjoied !!!

Great restoration! I would love to do a similar one to some of my saws. This winter I plan on disassembling them, cleaning them, maybe some paint and decals. I also like the painted felling spikes. I usually see them in their natural colour, but black looks good too!

Let's go forward ....

The top cover was in decent condition, I didn't go the long route of sanding it in the way shown by the you tube video,
mainly because the lack of time so I decided for a quick cleaning and than applied new decals .

The "Special" decal was a bit confusing, being the saw from 1990 it's still the more powerfull closed port saw but it is not the special one !!!

Considering the age of these saws (the XP/Special ones), it is no wonder that many of them has a combination of parts that doesn't quite add up today, as everything will interchange both between them and with parts from the "plain" 268, that came (or still comes on some markets) with an open port top-end.

Considering the age of these saws (the XP/Special ones), it is no wonder that many of them has a combination of parts that doesn't quite add up today, as everything will interchange both between them and with parts from the "plain" 268, that came (or still comes on some markets) with an open port top-end.
The one I just sold had all the right parts, it wasn't a special though it was special :).

Attachments

• IMG_20180609_205148274.jpg
    IMG_20180609_205148274.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
That is and was a Beauty my friend

Erik
It still is minus the damage his cat did to the top cover, I think you saw that thread.
If it was my place, we would have been having white meat for dinner :barbecue::lol:.
Yeah but NO bar cover !!

Erik
That must not have been special, or I didn't even get one with it, that is the original bar and chain though, dealer run only :sweet:.

It still is minus the damage his cat did to the top cover, I think you saw that thread.
If it was my place, we would have been having white meat for dinner :barbecue::lol:.

That must not have been special, or I didn't even get one with it, that is the original bar and chain though, dealer run only :sweet:.

Tastes a lil’ like Fishy-Chicken I hear

Erik

Latest posts

Back