Husqvarna 288xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickey_S

Reaction score
Hello everyone I'm new here and was trying to get some feedback. I acquired a husqvarna 288xp about a year ago. It wasn't running due to needing a handle replacement. Well i did that and decided to just do a complete rebuild on it. It runs great since the rebuild. My question is what could i get for it if i decided to sell it? This is what i replaced on it.

Piston/ring
Head with decompression valve
Ignition coil
Chain tensioner
All 6 vibration dampeners
Carburetor
Air filter
24 inch bar
24 inch chain 3/8 .058 84 drive link
Muffler
Muffler support bracket
Handle

Attachments

• 20200922_151855.jpg
    20200922_151855.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 20
  • 20200922_151937_HDR.jpg
    20200922_151937_HDR.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 20
  • 20200922_152002_HDR.jpg
    20200922_152002_HDR.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 20
Hello everyone I'm new here and was trying to get some feedback. I acquired a husqvarna 288xp about a year ago. It wasn't running due to needing a handle replacement. Well i did that and decided to just do a complete rebuild on it. It runs great since the rebuild. My question is what could i get for it if i decided to sell it? This is what i replaced on it.

Piston/ring
Head with decompression valve
Ignition coil
Chain tensioner
All 6 vibration dampeners
Carburetor
Air filter
24 inch bar
24 inch chain 3/8 .058 84 drive link
Muffler
Muffler support bracket
Handle
to start, go here https://www.arboristsite.com/community/forums/chainsaws.150/ probably more then a couple for sale in there

keep in mind though nothing is worth the sum of its parts, its easy to put $1000 into a saw that will only fetch $600, in other words its cool you went through it and made it nice again, but end of the day its still a used saw.

I understand it's a used saw. Those threads are over 5 yrs old. So it's pointless to compare or comment on someone else's thread. Just trying to get an idea what i could get for it if i decided to sell. Doesn't matter what i spent rebuilding it.

I sold one on ebay that was very good condition a couple of months back and the buyer paid $637 with the shipping and tax.

You're welcome Pic is so you can see the condition at that price.

View attachment 857015View attachment 857016
A/M clutch cover? Looks nice but I don’t like the “Lite” style recoils, personally.
For the OP, I’m guessing the piston/cylinder + a few of the other parts are aftermarket, right? That isn’t as desirable to some, but depending on the brand it could still be decent.

A/M clutch cover? Looks nice but I don’t like the “Lite” style recoils, personally.
For the OP, I’m guessing the piston/cylinder + a few of the other parts are aftermarket, right? That isn’t as desirable to some, but depending on the brand it could still be decent.
Clutch cover was new OEM

Clutch cover was new OEM
Nice! Around here when you see a 281/288 with a plastic brake flag, it’s an aftermarket cover as all the oem covers have or had metal flags. I’ve only seen 1 28- with the newer, non-square recoil cover on it so my knowledge of those newer models is limited. It’s pretty cool that the pictured 288 is new enough to have the updated recoil and clutch cover but old enough that it still has the support spring on the dog.

I found mine in a pawn shop for $150 with all original parts and put about $90 of factory small parts into it, plus a fancy Tsumura 24" bar ($85) and H47 chain ($20). That's $345 for a good running big saw, but I can't imagine asking MORE than I have in it, unless someone just had to have it, they could probably name their price.

https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...tchen-island-today.338483/page-9#post-7192514

Back