Husqvarna 3120 XP Help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opinion

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
There's a little hole on the clutch side of the crankshaft. What is it's function?

Plug it !! all it dose is create a air leak. Try pulling a vacuum/pressure test and see how much it leaks;) .
You'll get enough oil from the B/C to take care of the bearing.

my 2001 model.....the hole goes to nowhere....the saws main purpose is as my alpine powerhead, but that is of no importance.................whats with these colors and stuff...ive been here since 2003, i suddenly like long walks and fresh flowers!!:hmm3grin2orange:

brad, you are exactly right..its the same hole..i think it's supposed to be for that shot of grease....my 3120, when i took it from the stumper to run my 42", gave it a shot and if i remember correctly, it's more than a dimple at the end of the crankshaft....it just doesn't go to where it should ..if i remember correctly..there was a pinhole down the shaft where the grease shot out just above the surface, level with the engine case...it was frustrating thinking it was plugged......maybe they want people to actually do the hands on approach with that one....

The hole in the crankshaft goes from the clutch all the way inside the crankcase. Its there to provide lubrication to the clutch bearing via the crankcase........and dont worry there is a one-way valve in it and doesn't pse any running issues, however it need to be plugged when performing a pressure test.

Thanks a lot everybody, I appreciate the replies.
I was working on the saw yesterday and couldn't locate the leak for a while, when I finally found it I was curious what that hole was for. The service manual doesn't even mention anything about it.
Thanks again.

O.P. You wouldn't happen to be able to take a couple pics of the clutch side of the case on your 3120Xp and post them for me. I have a 3120k and I am trying to figure out the exact differences between the clutch side of the cases between the XP and the k. I am in the process of a rebuild and wondering if I can retrofit this back into a chainsaw. Everyone on here has an opinion about how it is too much trouble but I have access to all the tools and a machine shop and want to give it a go but not sure of those exact differences because I don't have access to a 3120 chainsaw to compare it to. They are like ghosts in my part of the world!

Back