Husqvarna 340 - mod or sell?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baconaman

Saw Guru In Training
Reaction score
I have what appears to be a low hours 340. I was more ignorant about saws when I bought this off Craigslist a couple years ago and had I looked here first, I probably would have passed on it. I did however develop an infatuation with the 346xp from posts on this site, but they almost never come up for sale around here and when they do, they are super spendy and still sell. This 340 is not all that satisfying to run. Are there any mods out there that would make me want to keep the saw? If not, assuming I'm not going to find a 346xp, what should I look for in this weight class? (And it does not have to be a Husky.) How much do 340s in good condition sell for?

Sent from my Cellular Moe-Bile phone using Tapatalk

FWIW, I agree with deaves61. I’d do what he says but also do a gasket delete and open up the muffler. You’ll be adding 10cc to the saw , compression will be much higher and I’m sure the 346 top end will flow much better. You already have a good start with what you have.

I love my 340’s I have three of them and a 346xp new edition. Two of my 340’s have the 346xp top ends on them. I have added the adjustable oilers , muffler opened up and unlimited coils. I have milled the base adapters so I can still run base gaskets, but tighten the squish. After the work they run a little better than my stock 346xp.

I love my 340’s I have three of them and a 346xp new edition. Two of my 340’s have the 346xp top ends on them. I have added the adjustable oilers , muffler opened up and unlimited coils. I have milled the base adapters so I can still run base gaskets, but tighten the squish. After the work they run a little better than my stock 346xp.

Is it better to piece it together or to buy a kit from somebody? What is meant by "tighten the squish"? After reading your post and the two above it, I gather that to use the bigger cylinder, you need a cylinder base, which I imagine is some kind of adapter which does not allow the use of a gasket, but you alter it in some way as to use a gasket because I assume it decreases the chance of leaking? Can I figure out how to do most of this by viewing YouTube videos? I am purposely exaggerating my cluelessness so no one assumes I know something that I do not. I want to do this. Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like you have it. The 340 and 345 use a one-piece design where the base (also called bearing cup) is integrated into the cylinder.

People often remove the base gasket between the base and cyl to increase compression. Enthusiasts like KYsawman do that by machining the base and using a gasket.

Which to buy? Your money, your decision. People suggest the oem cyl/p is the best, but it costs the most. Some use the inexpensive aftermarket kits, which cost much less but may vary in quality. Look for the ones that state "closed port" when it shows 346, 350, 353 in the listings.

One of my favorite saws is a 340. With a 16" bar/chain, it's a good little firewood saw. Just put a new chain on mine.

I’ll get you some part numbers when I get done work. I was just trying to keep the thread from getting buried

11678B4B-B27C-4BC4-8080-EC127F9039DC.jpeg 9AE31E9A-DCD8-41F4-A445-CBC778B64213.jpeg 644C4B0B-0A58-4B73-A08F-5BD6FC9DD572.jpeg 7D2E08FC-CD00-425E-9D45-287534C8CB3B.jpeg CE0D2FEB-DD7F-4524-B036-2D3CB46C94ED.jpeg 988ABC01-3220-4A32-A902-597E3066FABD.jpeg 0EC63BBD-B905-40B4-9893-03B456614360.jpeg I took some pictures of the actual parts bags. You may not need all these parts. I had the plastic intake clamp on my saws, so I ordered the new metal clamp, bellows and partition. I also ordered spare intake and exhaust gaskets and fuel line to have around. They are only a few bucks each, but if you have to order one on eBay it will probably cost you $10 or more with shipping. You will need the bearing cup which is no longer available from husky. You can find them on eBay for about $8 plus the ride. I get my parts from my semi local husky dealer. He has been good to me and I don’t pay shipping.I use moto seal in place of the intake gasket and under the bearing cup. I got it from advance Auto Parts. I think a lot of people seem to like yamabond or other stuff, but moto bond has worked good for me and I can get it locally.

I have done two of these so far. And I’m gonna do my third tonight.

PLEASE. I am far from an expert. To me they are fun to do. And educational for my son and I. There are FAR more qualified people on this site who can help you like ky saw man , svk and others who have a lot more knowledge than me. If you get in a jam I’ll try to help .

I noticed the pic of the exh. Gasket is hard to read. The part # is 503862501. also most of your time will be cleaning everything. Be sure to check the crank bearings Look at the cages. You don’t want to see any loose bearings. And the moto seal sets up pretty quick. One more thing off the top of my head. When bolting the cylinder to the bearing cup my bolts seemed a little long so we put a couple of washers under the head of the screws for protection, I always dab some husky oil on the cylinder and bearings while putting it back together. Oh and after cleaning the gasket surfaces and before putting on the moto seal I clean everything off with rubbing alcohol. Sorry for the babbling. Haha

Cuz u out there? I put down my lasagna for you. I’m not talking chef boy or di. I’m talkin philly, Trenton, nyc. The real deal. As good as it gets outside of Italy. Lol. Anyway here’s some pics of a 350 were doin as we speak. Squish and compression as soon as my boy gets it back together

Alright so the 350’s back together with a new oem 346 top end, new bearings and seals , new metal clamp,bellows and partition. Gasket delete. Squish is .0185. Compression is 185. There is no compression release. Just the plug screwed in pretty tight. That low down southern whiskey begins to fog my mind and the lagunitas ain’t helping either so we’ll fire it up tmoro. Hope it helps . Gonna open up the muffler also. Thought we did

Cuz u out there? I put down my lasagna for you. I’m not talking chef boy or di. I’m talkin philly, Trenton, nyc. The real deal. As good as it gets outside of Italy. Lol. Anyway here’s some pics of a 350 were doin as we speak. Squish and compression as soon as my boy gets it back together

I'm not the op, but I appreciate the part numbers and the great pictures. Enjoy the saw! My 350/346 is an absolute favorite.

Here’s the pics
This is awesome! This will absolutely help. Just to clarify, all this is applicable to the 340 as well - true? Also, what exactly is squish?

Sent from my Cellular Moe-Bile phone using Tapatalk

Back