Husqvarna 346 XP - Tuning advice needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barski

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First i'd like to start off by saying thanks for the countless advice found on these forums. Truly have a unique crowd here compared to many other forums.

I recently purchased 2011 346 XP E-tech and it cuts great compared to the Husky 55 I've become accustomed to. Cuts fast and has an amazing amount of power for a 50cc saw.

Now that I have some free time I've decided to address the oil leak, give it a good cleaning, and address any maintenance items that need it. Now I'm onto fine tuning the carb but it seems as if they dummy proofed these things by the amount of adjustment available at the L and H settings. It maybe turns 3/4 a turn and that'll be it. The tach shows 12,800 to 14,000 depending on the limited adjustment I have. I'm listening for the nice 4 stroking sound but that is currently unachievable with those tabs on the screws or so it seems.

Would I be correct in thinking that in the stock form I won't get the 4 stroking action I'm looking for?

Also, it really cuts like mad when tuned for 14,000 rpm unloaded but I'm not brave enough to leave it there yet so I have it set to 13,600 rpm.

Already have been looking into replacing the cat muffler with a non-cat version and doing the muffler mod right away which will require the fuel screw tabs to be removed/cut off.

Thanks!

Removing the carb limiter tabs is super easy. I think you can do it in place with a razor blade iirc. Might as well get it done if you're planning on it anyway.

That said, you will probably find the ideal tune somewhere within that rpm range you listed. 4-stroking can be tough to hear, but that saw should 4-stroke consistently anywhere under 13,500. Personally I'd run it in the 13,500-13,800 range myself. You could turn it up to 14k for cutting small limbs, but I'd want more fuel for bucking firewood.

You can pull the carb and remove the limiting tabs in about 15 minutes, but if your tach is right you won't need to until you open up the muffler. It should run fine now with clean filters and good fuel lines at 13800 WOT. You'll need to tune it in the wood though. Put your efforts into sharp chains to really get some work done.

My ears must need some adjustment for the higher rpms this thing spins at. I'll tach it at 13,600 and adjust if needed when cutting.

Once I have the muffler I'll get those tabs removed and tune it again.

On the chain front I got pretty lucky, the 55 runs the same chain. I recently purchased the stihl 2 in 1 sharpener and it's, hands down, the best money I ever spent to sharpen chains.

Thanks for the help!

Back