Husqvarna 346xp where’s my bearing cage gone!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnT34

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So all of a sudden this saw starts racing like crazy so I know I’m in trouble
Don’t think I need a vac test on this one
The plastic bearing cage is nowhere to be found

IMG_0878.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got done rebuilding an 036 yesterday that looked like this. The plastic the saws chews it up and spits it out.

a2IboXH.jpg

Yes, I recall a conversation between two gents, not sure if it was Bob and Walt, or Scott and Matt, but one said they wanted to see bearings with metal cages, because the should be more durable and last longer... The other said if you aren't tearing down a saw to replace bearings until there is a catastrophic failure, it isn't IF but WHEN the cage fails...and when it does a plastic cage does less damage when it lets loose. I would agree.

Some last a long run while others don`t. I have had a new saw,MS440 where the bearing went at 3 months on the flywheel side while the other 044`s and a couple MS440`s that still have their original bearings, some going on 20 years. I havn`t seen where higher RPM has had a negative affect on them.

Some last a long run while others don`t. I have had a new saw,MS440 where the bearing went at 3 months on the flywheel side while the other 044`s and a couple MS440`s that still have their original bearings, some going on 20 years. I havn`t seen where higher RPM has had a negative affect on them.
Blasphemy lets not talk bad about a stihl lol.
So all of a sudden this saw starts racing like crazy so I know I’m in trouble
Don’t think I need a vac test on this one
The plastic bearing cage is nowhere to be found

View attachment 696430

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry about your little 346, I like them a lot.
Big plans for it going forward.

Press the bearing out and put a new one in. Heat the case, freeze the bearing and make sure you get it in straight and flush with the inside of the case. It is not very hard to do. Buy a very high quality bearing and it may last you as long as you will ever use it.

Blasphemy lets not talk bad about a stihl lol.

I only run Stihl but I will tell it as it is, they all break or wear if used as I do with them. They are not shelf queens and get run in all types of weather, today they run in 8F cutting frozen dry hardwood, the chains will take the worst of it today...:)

I only run Stihl but I will tell it as it is, they all break or wear if used as I do with them. They are not shelf queens and get run in all types of weather, today they run in 8F cutting frozen dry hardwood, the chains will take the worst of it today...:)
Pioneerguy only runs Stihl lol.
I've got plenty of both, clean and well used ones, and of many different colors, I like saws.
Yes, that's some teeth chucking temps, especially on the older chains. Be safe out there.

Pioneerguy only runs Stihl lol.
I've got plenty of both, clean and well used ones, and of many different colors, I like saws.
Yes, that's some teeth chucking temps, especially on the older chains. Be safe out there.

Was real frosty early on this morning but temps climbed to around 20 in the sun, made two trailer loads before lunch, back to it again. Only one chain dulled a bit so far, cutting near bottom of the pile, lots of grit froze to the wood down there. 044 and a hybrid pulling the chains.

Was real frosty early on this morning but temps climbed to around 20 in the sun, made two trailer loads before lunch, back to it again. Only one chain dulled a bit so far, cutting near bottom of the pile, lots of grit froze to the wood down there. 044 and a hybrid pulling the chains.
Sound like a productive morning. Went to or church meeting, it was good. I delivered a cord and a half yesterday so I probably won't do any wood today, might work on converting a few chains though.

Check the specs out on these plastic caged ball bearings. I believe that the heat and rpm are much lower then the application these are used in. Even the plastic caged ball bearings are failing in older vintage dirtbike engines too. Not good some pistons are $200 a pop. We have to watch the bearing supply house we buy from too. One bearing number comes with a steel cage or plastic cage, same part number. I ran into this on the bikes already. The only difference is there a lower heat range and lower rpm. I hate fixing things twice in the past.

The older husky dirtbike takes a double row ball bearing steel cage that’s $80 +/-. Such a deal at $25 with the plastic caged. Read the specs on the application.

Press the bearing out and put a new one in. Heat the case, freeze the bearing and make sure you get it in straight and flush with the inside of the case. It is not very hard to do. Buy a very high quality bearing and it may last you as long as you will ever use it.

Run your oil ratio mix a tad rich. I swear by 38:1 husky oil.

Latest posts

Back