Husqvarna 350 problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seagull369

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Having a slight problem with my saw. Engine runs fine when cold, but when it warms up it idles very high and bogs down easily when cutting, almost as if it's running out of gas. When it's been cold out, it takes a while before this happens. On warm days it starts crapping out within several minutes.

I'm pretty sure I'm using 50:1, apparently what the saw calls for. Sound like a dirty carb issue?

1st thing I'd pull the muffler and look at your piston and cyl. to check for scoring. Damage may have already been done.
Next, read up on carb. tuning. Lots on here. Sounds like you're lean on the HS.
If you can't tune the lean out then you may have to cut the limiters or you may have a carb. problem or you may have an air leak somewhere else (fuel line, impulse line, carb. boot, crank seals, etc.)

Last edited:
Next time it does it take the fuel cap off and see if it hisses when loosened, tank vents are becoming a problem on some of these saws now. If it hisses, change the tank vent, if not, then............
Start simple, go buy a tune up kit, change the plug, the fuel filter and air filter. It's old enough it probably needs all of these.
I wouldn't worry about pulling the muffler yet, if the tune up kit helps, but doesn't fix it, then clean the carb and check the lines when you have the carb off.
IF that doesn't fix it, then pull the muffler, but it sounds like a fuel issue.

I wouldn't worry about pulling the muffler yet
It's quick and easy and won't cost him any $. If it's melted then he'll know what he's up against and he'd be chasing his tail if he starts trying to fix other stuff first. Just my $.02

I get what you are saying, but low compression is pretty obvious in these saws and they get really hard to start. I don't see his saw showing these signs, just the signs of a fuel issue.
I discourage people from pulling mufflers on these saws because if they don't get them torqued properly they can have the lose muffler issue rear it's ugly head. Any other saw, sure, pull the muffler and have a peek, this one, if the muffler isn't lose, try not to mess with it until you have to!

I get what you are saying, but low compression is pretty obvious in these saws and they get really hard to start. I don't see his saw showing these signs, just the signs of a fuel issue.
I discourage people from pulling mufflers on these saws because if they don't get them torqued properly they can have the lose muffler issue rear it's ugly head.
Good points ! I forgot about the 350 muffler issue.

Thank you for the speedy replies, fellas.

It figures after I go through describing the problem to y'all, it now seems to have gone away. I did refuel the thing prior to running it again so am wondering if it either had some bad gas, or the vent is plugged like sawinredneck suggested. I don't get the feeling it's a compression issue, since it really is a tough pull to crank her over (even when warm), much like my Stihl which is of similar size.

If the problem does come back, I'll be sure to try out your suggestions and keep you posted...

Thanks again :msp_thumbup:

I got a complete one of those in a box a while back. The guy had torn it down, and the only issue was a plugged muffler screen.

Latest posts

Back