Husqvarna 350 wont start after chain popped off bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawaddict1994

Reaction score
I have a husqvarna 350, it's an older saw but it still ran great up until last week. I was cutting some tree limbs at work and the chain popped off the bar. So I put the chain back on just like every other time it had popped off and adjusted the chain tension. When I tried to start it, it started but the chain would not spin (yes, the chain brake was off). I checked the tension of the chain and it was extremely tight, and as I tried adjusting the tension the chainsaw cut off. I made the adjustment and tried to restart it and it did the same thing as last time, the chain got extremely tight and then the saw shut off. So I adjusted the tension to where the chain was a lot looser than how I normally have it, this time after starting it the chain became so loose it was hanging a few inches below the bar. Now it seems that I have been able to adjust the chain without any of that happening, but the chain wont spin, it will move in spurts - it will move a few inches then stop and keep repeating that, and everytime I try to give it throttle, it shuts off.

Has anyone experienced the same thing or have any idea what this problem could be? Thank you for any help in advance!

Check to see if one of the drive links has a big burr on it. Loosen the chain and try to run it around the bar by hand, a bunged up link will ride up out of the bar groove. If this is the problem just file off the burr with a flat file.

Are you sure you are lined up right in the sprocket?

Check to see if one of the drive links has a big burr on it. Loosen the chain and try to run it around the bar by hand, a bunged up link will ride up out of the bar groove. If this is the problem just file off the burr with a flat file.

Are you sure you are lined up right in the sprocket?

That actually was a problem with the chain that originally popped off. I noticed it and filed it off but still couldnt get the chain right to stay adjusted correctly. So I put a different chain on, not a new one but a dull one just to see if the problem was something with the chain and the problem still hasnt corrected itself. And yes, I checked and double checked to make sure it lined up in the sprocket with still no luck.

Spur or rim is ok, not shot? We get several a year "won't work" because the spur is worn right in half, or the rim wore completely out and through the clutch housing too.

Back