Husqvarna 357xp performance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I modded my 357 also, and it cuts real well for it's size. Pound for pound, consideriing the engine size, it's impressive. I use it in the middle of the tree for burning thru the bigger limbs fast. Makes short work of cutting up a fallen oak.

I ran my stock for a year, cutting up to 32" oak with a 20" bar. It did very well!

Then got the porting bug, and have just about ported everything. :msp_smile:

I was not surpriced at all that Husky was in a hurry to replace that model...

They kept it around pretty long for being in a hurry. They were priced too high here also.

10 years +/-...There's a bunch of em out there, that's for sure! :msp_smile:

I'll cut right to the chase.
are there any reasonable mods for this saw to help it?
It was purchased to add to my fleet of log building saws
It's an ok saw for blocking,limbing and such, but lacks enough power(torque) to cut saddles(scarfs) or large notches for log building.
What a disapointment this saw is. I have to blame myself for believing all the hype from HUSKY fans my log mentor, and the dealer.
The dealer gave the biggest misrepresentation of the saw.
The saw has had 5 tanks of fuel run through it and been back to the dealer 3 times. Once was for a faulty bar oiler pump.

I had a 357 that was I was the second owner of and it did not have good torque. I had an 18'' bar on it and did not feel confident using the entire bar, I couldn't tell if that was the nature of the saw or it was low compression but I traded out for some other gear and let it go. I do wish I had modded it a little since I do hear people saying they spark up with a mod and alot of people do like them.

Those specs are taken from the Husky website today...

.1 kW = 0.134048257373 hp, pretty equal IMO.

A 56.5 being compared to a 59. What's more to say? 56.5 vs 59. I would say it's a helluva 56.5 if you are going to put it up against 60+cc'sOK so we're talking less than a pound difference. Is that enough to call it a brick?

The websites or catalogs of the brands is not the place to find correct/accurate weight information.

As I said, never mind the hp numbers, as there are two different kinds of hp currently in use among the saw brands, and none of the important brands are consistant regarding which kind they use - hp(m) or hp(i).

1 kw is about 1.34 hp(i) and about 1.36 hp(m). What some brands call bhp can be either, as both are bph, and measured in the same way. In the example above, the 4.4 hp of the 357xp is hp(m), and the 4.4 hp of the MS361 is hp(i). Because of this mess, it is better to compare the kW numbers, not the hp numbers.

Btw, I never said that there was a huge differense in power or weight between the 357xp and the MS361, even though the power difference open up more if the 361 isn't the US version.

If you're at 8000 ft of elevation you're losing a decent bit of power compared to sea level. A 562 with autotune may be a better saw for you. I would think that you need 5 more tanks at least to get it broke in also.

If you're at 8000 ft of elevation you're losing a decent bit of power compared to sea level. A 562 with autotune may be a better saw for you. I would think that you need 5 more tanks at least to get it broke in also.

Yeah I have used both 562 and 357 and theres no comparison in performance. You can't run a 28' bar on a 357 and a 562 runs it pretty damn well for a 60'cc saw that blew me away.

YES AT 8000 FT ALL MY SAWS RUN A LITTLE WEAKER.
The real problem is my 357XP is weaker than my STIHL MS261, NOT TO MENTION MY 361.
I got plenty of bigger saws too,( STIHL 038 MAG, 038MAG2, 044 MAG, 066,) they just suck to manhandle doing notch work, but are awesome for ripping,felling or blocking.
I looked at the 562 but went with the 357XP. I did not like the lack of throttle control, it was all or nothing.
Incidentally, the mechanic at the big HUSKY dealership(129 miles away) showed me 7 562 saws in for problems while running after they are warmed up. THey told me it's a huge problem, whatever, if he says so.

MDAVLEE,
Im gonna run the snot out of this thing(357XP) and see how it is after a few more tankfuls.
I ran it today with a brand new full chisel and then a new semi chisel toothed chain. It works ok for cutting fire wood but wont make it doing log building work.
I'll see what happens
thank you and everyone else for the input.

Any normally aspired engine will loose power in high altitude. Autotune will not make the air any denser.

I have a 2008 357 and it runs real good. Has tremendous rpm and doesn't bog in the cut unless you really push on it. I run a 18" bar on it.

We were out back timing cuts and the other guy also had a 036 that he had just put new rings in. The 357 was a second faster than that 036.

I own a 357, 361, 261, and 036's.

If the 357 is tuned right, it is dead even with a 361 and 036, and any of those is significantly stronger than a 261. I actually prefer the 036 bc it is .5lbs lighter than the 361 and .75lbs lighter than a 357. I suspect your 357 is tuned too lean and not thoroughly broken in.

less Power

Any normally aspired engine will loose power in high altitude. Autotune will not make the air any denser.

At 8000ft. all saws will have less power. Autotune and Mtronic saws will be putting out optimum power at any given altitude because it will richen or lean out the fuel to air mixture automagicly. Most people I know never touch the mixture screws on a non Autotune or Mtronic saw so they run like crap when they head to the high country to cut firewood. Those people need Autotune or Mtronic saws.

YES AT 8000 FT ALL MY SAWS RUN A LITTLE WEAKER.
The real problem is my 357XP is weaker than my STIHL MS261, NOT TO MENTION MY 361.
I got plenty of bigger saws too,( STIHL 038 MAG, 038MAG2, 044 MAG, 066,) they just suck to manhandle doing notch work, but are awesome for ripping,felling or blocking.
I looked at the 562 but went with the 357XP. I did not like the lack of throttle control, it was all or nothing.
Incidentally, the mechanic at the big HUSKY dealership(129 miles away) showed me 7 562 saws in for problems while running after they are warmed up. THey told me it's a huge problem, whatever, if he says so.

Not all, but most of the warm start issues with the 562's is operator error. My 562 is a one pull start when warm. It also has a LOT more torque and power than the 357.

That said, I'd mod the muffler on your 357 and tune the carb and run the crap out of it. Or send it to one of the builders here and get it back runnin like a 70cc+ saw...:msp_smile:

At 8000ft. all saws will have less power. Autotune and Mtronic saws will be putting out optimum power at any given altitude because it will richen or lean out the fuel to air mixture automagicly. Most people I know never touch the mixture screws on a non Autotune or Mtronic saw so they run like crap when they head to the high country to cut firewood. Those people need Autotune or Mtronic saws.

If so, that is a major operator error, and not a fault of the equipment. :monkey:

I know autotune won't fix the air density problem but it will keep it tuned right at any elevation.

I've run 261's and they were no comparison to my red 357(maybe it's a colour thing:biggrin:)
Of course,the cat muffler had to be operated on and the limiter caps removed so the carb could be adjusted properly.
After that,I've been excessively pleased with it and I run an 18" bar as well.:chainsaw:

I'll keep working with it, but I'm truly disappointed. Im trying to optimize the 357XP's performance.
I find my self in frustration reaching for my STIHLS to cut even the small stuff, and just wanted to here if anyone had some thoughts on what to do to get my 357XP to run better.
It should run better than it does considering HUSKY'S cost more than STIHLS here.
You better tune that beast !! Lol.. Muffler mod will give itmore ass as well

Back