Husqvarna 359

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgulesano

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok guys, so I know that there are a lot of threads out there about this piece of junk 359 but I have tried some of the fixes with no luck. I tore the saw all apart and checked piston and cylinder looks like new, compression at 140psi. I ordered all new intake bellows and etc. new zama carb and gaskets for carb and cylinder.

Once I fired the saw back up I cannot get the new carb to idle at all. I messed with all the adjustment screws besides H screw. If I can get it to idle it will just die when i hit the throttle. Any adjustment past there will kill the saw or just idle really high with the chain spinning then bog with throttle. I decided to throw the old walbro carb back in and it fires up and idles no problem however as soon as it gets warm again it will not stay running like most other 359.

Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks!

Muffler plugged, tank vent plugged, gap on flywheel/module correct, vacuum check. Metal or plastic carb boot clamp? What have you checked.

I was quite fond of the 359 i had. Very strong reliable saw. No problems cutting firewood. However i did screw it up it was my first time porting and i went alittle to much with the grinder.

Id vac/pressure test and go from there

I have checked muffler, vacuum and has a brand new carb boot. just pulled the fuel tank vent out and if memory serves me correct one time while cutting i opened the fuel tank cap to let air in and i believe it kept idling then died after a few second of closing the cap. so i think it could be the vent.. any way to clean? or just have to wait more days for a new part?

What are the odds you have two bad carbs? I replaced a carb back in Nov. with an ebay zama and it turned out to be junk. I made the mistake of trying to adjust the L needle and once i did that, i was chasing the tune until i tossed it in the garbage and ordered an oem replacement.

I have checked muffler, vacuum and has a brand new carb boot. just pulled the fuel tank vent out and if memory serves me correct one time while cutting i opened the fuel tank cap to let air in and i believe it kept idling then died after a few second of closing the cap. so i think it could be the vent.. any way to clean? or just have to wait more days for a new part?
Start it, open fuel cap and see if it revs and idles well. If so, replace the vent. Had 2 372's in a row with bad vents. Can make you chase your tail unless you can open cap and run on it's side with no problem. One dirty and open pinched vent line. Two different types of vents.

I’ve got a 359, with a zama carb and Hyway p&c. It’s been a great saw. I pulled the carb adjustment stops off first thing. If you haven’t timed the tabs, I would bet that the carb won’t let you adjust it enough. If you have already removed them it’s still anyone’s guess. Good luck

Walbro Top plate needs a vent hole per tree monkey.
If you use the correct kit (k24-hda) and install the gaskets in the correct order, the hole in the cover is not usually necessary. At least it never has been in any that I've done for 359s, 357s, or 346s. That said drilling the properly sized hole will not mess anything up so most just do it anyway.

Personally I feel you may have more issues than a carb. Since the saw acts different with each carb, the issue is with one or the other to begin with. Saws with multiple problems, will make you feel like your chasing your tail.

With the zama, it’s likely the carb. Since it won’t idle. Does it still have the limiter tabs? Might need cleaned. Jets could have been seated to hard and messed up. Hard diaphragms. Or it could be nothing. It could also be in the fuel lines, or filter.

It runs with the walbro, but it dies after it’s hot. This may or may not be a issue with the walbro carb. Could be the coil, air leak, tank vent, fuel line, fuel filter, ground issue.

If it were acting the same way with both carbs than the same issue is causing the problem, but it’s not.

The good thing about it is by the time your done, you’ll have spare parts for most of the problematic parts on the saw. Replacing good parts with good parts is how I acquired most of my spare parts. I dare say most everyone else has too.

Personally I feel you may have more issues than a carb. Since the saw acts different with each carb, the issue is with one or the other to begin with. Saws with multiple problems, will make you feel like your chasing your tail.

With the zama, it’s likely the carb. Since it won’t idle. Does it still have the limiter tabs? Might need cleaned. Jets could have been seated to hard and messed up. Hard diaphragms. Or it could be nothing. It could also be in the fuel lines, or filter.

It runs with the walbro, but it dies after it’s hot. This may or may not be a issue with the walbro carb. Could be the coil, air leak, tank vent, fuel line, fuel filter, ground issue.

If it were acting the same way with both carbs than the same issue is causing the problem, but it’s not.

The good thing about it is by the time your done, you’ll have spare parts for most of the problematic parts on the saw. Replacing good parts with good parts is how I acquired most of my spare parts. I dare say most everyone else has too.

I remember reading something on here about a wacky coil that would only act up when it was hot.....

Ok guys, so I know that there are a lot of threads out there about this piece of junk 359 but I have tried some of the fixes with no luck. I tore the saw all apart and checked piston and cylinder looks like new, compression at 140psi. I ordered all new intake bellows and etc. new zama carb and gaskets for carb and cylinder.

Once I fired the saw back up I cannot get the new carb to idle at all. I messed with all the adjustment screws besides H screw. If I can get it to idle it will just die when i hit the throttle. Any adjustment past there will kill the saw or just idle really high with the chain spinning then bog with throttle. I decided to throw the old walbro carb back in and it fires up and idles no problem however as soon as it gets warm again it will not stay running like most other 359.

Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks!
make sure you have a little hole on the diaphragm cover on the carb? some don't, if hasn't got a hole remove the cover and drill approx. 2mm hole in the centre and refit. if it has the automatic de-comp, replace it with a modern de-comp and blank of the vacuum nipple on the cylinder. check you coul gap and make sure the coil laminates are and magnate on the flywheel are clean. CD

The best thing that I ever did, was to sell my 359 to a guy that rebuilds saws. He made that pos into a real runner-supposedly. It is the only saw that I have ever had problems with.

Back