Husqvarna 359

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esq1997

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Good afternoon-

I'm a noobie to this site and thought I'd ask a basic question out of the blocks. Looking to replace my older lightweight (cheap) chainsaw with a heavier duty Husqvarna. I don't want to buy new at this time, I local seller has what appears to be a 2005 model 359 with a 20" bar which is in good cosmetic condition. He did a compression test that measured 165 lbs. The seller is asking for $300.00, and I'm not sure what a good price for this saw would be or if its worth it as it is used. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

John

If the saw is good, bar isn’t burned or wore away and you need
a saw, then haggle on the price, genuine saws are hard enough to find,
just make sure the saw runs well, depends too on how your relationship
is with the dealer, some are straight, just like in all walks of life, keep
clear of the dodgy ones.

Do you know if it’s the original top end, or has someone fitted an
aftermarket cylinder or piston.

If you don’t need a 20 inch bar, then see if he has a shorter one.

The 359 is a very good saw. I ran one of about that vintage for several years, and a friend of mine is running it now. If it's good cosmetically, that should mean it has not been used hard or beat to death. 20" is a good bar size for that saw, it's what mine ran. 165# compression sounds good. I'd try to bargain some on the price, but you're in the right ballpark.

Whinbush has a good point. In this day and age people often switch out parts, so it might be worth checking. Remove the top cover of saw and look for the "Mahle" name brand on the cylinder. I believe it should be visible.

The 359 is a very good saw. I ran one of about that vintage for several years, and a friend of mine is running it now. If it's good cosmetically, that should mean it has not been used hard or beat to death. 20" is a good bar size for that saw, it's what mine ran. 165# compression sounds good. I'd try to bargain some on the price, but you're in the right ballpark.

Whinbush has a good point. In this day and age people often switch out parts, so it might be worth checking. Remove the top cover of saw and look for the "Mahle" name brand on the cylinder. I believe it should be visible.
Mahle did not make the 359 cylinders. Husky did them in house.

Back