Husqvarna 372 OE pop up piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hiway came out with several last year. I just went out and cranked my ported 357 that has one with a caber. Purring xp with a sharp chain. Grins and giggles.

Hiway came out with several last year. I just went out and cranked my ported 357 that has one with a caber. Purring xp with a sharp chain. Grins and giggles.
I didn't know that Hyway had one. I saw that one on Ebay and thought I'd put it out there for the guys that don't have access to a lathe and would like a popup.

That was my situation - no lathe and wouldn't know what 46mm piston to cut if I had a lathe. Time will tell how it holds up. Great to have options.

edit... Was only discussing AM popups in general. Sorry to derail if you intended to only discuss the 372.

That was my situation - no lathe and wouldn't know what 46mm piston to cut if I had a lathe. Time will tell how it holds up. Great to have options.
I think we maybe talking about two different saws. The piston I posted is for a 372 xp non x-torq. I went over to the Hyway site and couldn't find one for that saw. It sounds like you maybe talking about the 357 piston.

Screenshot_20190821-220057.png I was going to post up exactly that eBay listing...

Stock 50mm bore size.... Pop Up/ raised center dome / higher compression..

Just ordered one to try...

My 372XP is lightly modded including porting and threebond used in place of base gasket for higher compression...

Right now 160 PSI on the nose...

Would like 170~185 PSI for personal tuning preference...

We will see where this one ends up at...

View attachment 754718 I was going to post up exactly that eBay listing...

Stock 50mm bore size.... Pop Up/ raised center dome / higher compression..

Just ordered one to try...

My 372XP is lightly modded including porting and threebond used in place of base gasket for higher compression...

Right now 160 PSI on the nose...

Would like 170~185 PSI for personal tuning preference...

We will see where this one ends up at...
If you really want a wake up call for these saws, put on a good big bore kit. Then don't put in the piston that comes with the kit tho. Order yourself pop up piston for a 272xp. Yes that's not a typo. 272xp. I have a 2171 Jonsered that I did this in. Shorter skirt on the 272 piston advanced intake. (I do not have a timing wheel so I can't say exact numbers.) Then the higher crown made so with the base gasket in I had 0.022 squish. Ended up with a little over 190 psi compression. (I have only run a bit more than 1 tank of fuel thru so I don't know it the compression will climb more yet or not). Put me on a modded muffler I found on ebay (one with 2 big stainless ports). These same mods gave me a very nice running saw with amazing power! I have a 10 tooth sprocket I found on Amazon and bought just for the kicks to run on a 16 inch bar. Well this saw handles an 18 inch bar very well with the 10 tooth sprocket on. I was surprised and very pleased. Maybe this won't work on every saw but it did in mine and I couldn't be happier. And I can't testify to how long it will run either. This is my firewood saw. I cut around the 40 cords per year. So it won't see heavy duty beating every day all year. But it sure is fun! Can't keep the smile off the face of any guy who has run it yet...

♂️♂️ Well like I said, I do not profess to be a wizard. Just a common guy who likes to play with these saws. Maybe beginner's luck, maybe an accident, I don't know. All I know is that 2171 knows what to do when you hold it to wood and give er the gun.

I'm interested how this goes. Bought one of these for a 55, installed it with no gasket, and not enough compression.
T ore it back down and sent cyl to be lowered.
The squish was huge.
Not complaining as it's the only windowed piston I could find.
Correction, this saw is badged 55 but the bore is 51.
This made the windowed piston tuff to find.

If you really want a wake up call for these saws, put on a good big bore kit. Then don't put in the piston that comes with the kit tho. Order yourself pop up piston for a 272xp. Yes that's not a typo. 272xp. I have a 2171 Jonsered that I did this in. Shorter skirt on the 272 piston advanced intake. (I do not have a timing wheel so I can't say exact numbers.) Then the higher crown made so with the base gasket in I had 0.022 squish. Ended up with a little over 190 psi compression. (I have only run a bit more than 1 tank of fuel thru so I don't know it the compression will climb more yet or not). Put me on a modded muffler I found on ebay (one with 2 big stainless ports). These same mods gave me a very nice running saw with amazing power! I have a 10 tooth sprocket I found on Amazon and bought just for the kicks to run on a 16 inch bar. Well this saw handles an 18 inch bar very well with the 10 tooth sprocket on. I was surprised and very pleased. Maybe this won't work on every saw but it did in mine and I couldn't be happier. And I can't testify to how long it will run either. This is my firewood saw. I cut around the 40 cords per year. So it won't see heavy duty beating every day all year. But it sure is fun! Can't keep the smile off the face of any guy who has run it yet...
A few pics. The first one is comparing a 372 oe pop up and a 272 pop up. Significant difference.

Latest posts

Back