Husqvarna 390XP vs 395XP ...which one is the better saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wtf man, all im trying to say is that with the same bar and chain and sprocket, the 372 is faster up to a certain diameter, it just is. More rpms in the cut means it ****ing cuts faster, 372xt specs say 10,200 max power rpms, 390 and 395 show 9,600. For some amount of wood, the higher rpms will cut more wood, “plain and simple”

So you know a 390/95 isn't making as much or more power at 10,2 as the 372? Have you tested these saws with the same bar & chain in small wood? Or are you just repeating something you read on the internet?

Why do you think people have saws ported? So it cuts faster right? Well it sure as **** doesnt get more displacement when its ported. ****ing potato.

Why does it cut faster?

Sorry to the OP again lol, done with this thread i promise haha.

Don't leave.

OP you should listen to the guys here, fantastic advice
395 is a big saw and will tire most of us in no time, it took me a week of continuos use to get my body used to handling that weight
and if i havent pack them for more than a month it will make a b!tch out of me once i go pick it up
if you have the funds id recommend 346(18"), 372(20"), 395(28") combo plan. these saws will cover whatever you probably will come across

OP you should listen to the guys here, fantastic advice
395 is a big saw and will tire most of us in no time, it took me a week of continuos use to get my body used to handling that weight
and if i havent pack them for more than a month it will make a b!tch out of me once i go pick it up
if you have the funds id recommend 346(18"), 372(20"), 395(28") combo plan. these saws will cover whatever you probably will come across

That is from someone who wood;) know

Can you still get the 346's over there?

What kind of $$$ would it be shpd to the Portland, Oregon area, 97049?

Doug

i lift weights often, 90kg bw 110kg squats 150kg deadlifts 100kg bpress and 10+ weighted pull ups, the big saws still makes a b!tch out of me. i cant imagine how an ordinary folk can run it for prolonged period. its just nuts, if you're bucking with it all day its not that bad. but felling, limbing and bucking with that saw is beyond liftin weights lol

This is one me of the best comparisons I’ve seen because it just makes sense:

After watching this video, I'm more convinced than ever that the 390XP is the right saw for me and my application. Yes, its is a heavy saw. It feels like it weighs 50 pounds after felling 5 trees in one morning. For bucking, she's a "beaut, Clark...a real beaut".

After re-reading the original post, I would recommend the 572XP -- but if you've GOT TO HAVE a bigger saw, then I would recommend the 390XP. The 395XP is too big, heavy and tougher to manage in the the OP's application.

JQ

Wtf man, all im trying to say is that with the same bar and chain and sprocket, the 372 is faster up to a certain diameter, it just is. More rpms in the cut means it ****ing cuts faster, 372xt specs say 10,200 max power rpms, 390 and 395 show 9,600. For some amount of wood, the higher rpms will cut more wood, “plain and simple”

This is pretty much what I was thinking as I was making my way through this thread. I think a 372 tunes out at a higher rpm than a 395. Of course rpm's are only part of the total power equation. The 395 has more total horse power. So given the exact same chain, the 372 will be faster up until a certain diameter when it can't maintain that greater rpm because of it's lack of torque compared with a higher displacement saw. A more aggressive chain, or a 8 or 9 pin sprocket of course will tip the scale to the larger saw from the start.

I have a Jonsered 2171, (same as the Husky 372), and a Husky 394. I love finding an excuse to run my 394, but it's a different saw, for a different purpose. My recommendation is get a 50cc saw and a 70cc saw. My 2171 is easily my favorite saw. It runs 3/8 chain on a 24 inch bar, with great speed and torque, and it isn't terribly heavy. It might sound boring, but your chain selection and how sharp you are able to keep them are really where it's at.

the point that cus-deluxe is trying to make is with the SAME BAR & CHAIN &SPROCKET on each the 372, and the 394/5, the flaw in that logic is that the SAME Bar, Chain and Sprocket is not going to be the best choice for each saw, it will only be the BEST choice for ONE saw or the other.

Put an 8 tooth sprocket with a 32" bar and a Full Comp chain with the rakers set lower, in a 28"-30" diameter fir log and the 395 will probably rip through it very quickly, the same Bar, Chain, Sprocket and raker settings, and the 372, will very likely struggle, and be a disappointment.

Take a 7 tooth sprocket, with a 20" bar and a skip tooth chain, with the rakers set high, on a 16" diameter log and the 372 MAY be MARGINALLY Faster, with a higher RPM rating, but you are hobbling the 395, by not utilizing it's power to pull a larger sprocket and more aggressive chain.

Set up EACH saw with what is OPTIMAL FOR EACH SAW, and I would bet that the 395 with the 8 tooth sprocket and full comp chain with lower rakers will beat the 372 every time, even in a 14" diameter log.

The SAME BAR, CHAIN , SPROCKET argument is SILLY, set up each saw to take advantage of it's strengths, and use the saw BEST SUITED TO THE TASK at hand.

Each are great saws, but each is better suited to different tasks, which is why many of us have multiple saws, Myself, I have (All Huskys) a 23 Compact Top Handle, a 460 Rancher, a 266XP and a 3120XP, the 460, and 266 are some what redundant, except, where I live, downed trees in the road are fairly common, especially in the winter, I bought a used 460 Rancher, that runs great, but isn't very pretty, to keep in the pick up, although it is locked, I would NOT leave my prized 266 in the truck 24/7, I value it too much, the 460 is much more easily replaced.

In 16" -22" logs, I would probably be grabbing the 372, with a 24'" bar, probably opt for a skip tooth chain, and not be any where near as tired at the end of the day. In MY Case, the 266XP wears a 24" bar, full comp chain, and if that is too much I grab the 3120. As I have said before, when I was bucking a 32" diameter Fir into 16" firewood rounds, I bucked most of the way through with the 3120, then used my Peavey to roll the logs, and not being 19 anymore, it didn't take long for the "New Saw Fun" to wear off, and grab the 266, for upcutting to finish the rounds. When bucking and letting the weight of the 3120 work FOR me, it is a FUN saw to run, upcutting with a 25# saw gets old REALLY FAST, hence I am currently on a 4 saw plan, with at least two more that I can see a "USE" for if not maybe a real "NEED" for.

Set up each saw to get the best performance you can out of it, and then USE the Best saw for what you need to do, THAT is the SIMPLE CONCEPT, that doesn't seem to be, being "GOTTEN" in this discussion.

Doug

I am currently on a 4 saw plan, with at least two more that I can see a "USE" for if not maybe a real "NEED" for.

Set up each saw to get the best performance you can out of it, and then USE the Best saw for what you need to do, THAT is the SIMPLE CONCEPT, that doesn't seem to be, being "GOTTEN" in this discussion.

Doug

Totally agree. I have a ms193 for limbing, a ms261 with a 20" bar (which honestly will handle 90% of what I cut), and a 372xp with a 28" bar for when I run into larger oaks or eucalyptus. VERY rarely I buck up 36"+ redwoods or eucalyptus, its no problem, just make two cuts with the 372. I don't see wood that large often enough to justify a 390xp... But I still want one:D

I agree with some of the posts above about a 50cc saw and a 70cc saw. I have a saw in every size from Stihl 150t, 200 and 201’s for climbing all the way up to a 395 and a pair of 3120’s. I have used all of them one time or another at a job. The 395 only comes out for large removals (5% of the time) I don’t ever grab the 3120’s unless I am milling, and I never seem to grab any of the 60cc saws either. I always Need a climbing saw for canopy work and also always grab a 50cc saw And one of my 70-75cc saws to drop the stem and or flush cut the stumps before grinding.

So in reality I only really need a climbing saw or two, a 50cc saw and one or two 70cc saws but CAD got the best of me. I think that would cover the majority of other people’s need’s also.

It's not about what will cut faster, big CID/heavy saw with a short bar/chain and rakers ground off for sure will out cut a much smaller saw in any material.

I don't think most folks reading this have spent much time lugging around a 395XP or something equally as heavy. I have quite an arsenal of saws here, and my 480CD gets used maybe once or twice a year, same with the 395XP I have access to.

For most of the cutting we do 50cc saws are used because they are light and fast. When we get into bigger work where they no longer become ideal out come the 60-70cc saws, never the big 480CD or 395XP. We use those saw mostly for the rare occasion we get into at big tree that requires that kind of power and longer bar lengths as shown in the pics below. When you get into trees like this you will be glad you've got a 395XP and for sure the smaller saws will stay in the truck that day!.....Cliff

View attachment 627674 View attachment 627675
Ipack a 480 CD and is my sole large saw. I have a 51 with a 20" that gets used mostly as well. I have a 562 also I got this week. do you know which Husky model weighs about the same as the 480? I want to replace it with a newer saw. I cut a lot of 24+ inch oaks and wat a 32 inch or 36 inch bar. not sure if the 390 or 395 is the closest in weight. the 480 is heavy and at one time was my only saw and was used for brush and limb work too. no dealers around to feel the saws in person. would order from baileys (usually by my saws here, but if someone else on the forum has deals Im open) I bought my brother a 576 earlier this year. I only cut about 30 cord of Oak a year, cant fell trees only buck whats been blown over or snags

Ipack a 480 CD and is my sole large saw. I have a 51 with a 20" that gets used mostly as well. I have a 562 also I got this week. do you know which Husky model weighs about the same as the 480? I want to replace it with a newer saw. I cut a lot of 24+ inch oaks and wat a 32 inch or 36 inch bar. not sure if the 390 or 395 is the closest in weight. the 480 is heavy and at one time was my only saw and was used for brush and limb work too. no dealers around to feel the saws in person. would order from baileys. I bought my brother a 576 earlier this year. I only cut about 30 cord of Oak a year.

I don't know what your 480 CD weighs but here is the specs from Husqvarna's website:

Model:........ Weight....... CC's .......HP

390XP ..........16.1# ....... 88cc ....... 6.5 HP

395XP ............ 17.4#.........94cc .......7.1 HP

Those are Husky's numbers, but just from reading posts on here, not a scientific survey, or from personal experience, but most comments tend towards favoring the 390XP as a FELLING Saw, and the 395XP as a BUCKING Saw..

Doug :cheers:

:(:mad::angry::dumb2::crazy::rare2::confused::eek:

Dayum, I had that in Nice columns, but for some reason the website removed the spacing and compressed everything together

I don't know what your 480 CD weighs but here is the specs from Husqvarna's website:

Model: Weight CC's HP

390XP 16.1# 88cc 6.5 HP

395XP 17.4# 94cc 7.1 HP

Those are Husky's numbers, but just from reading posts on here, not a scientific survey, or from personal experience, but most comments tend towards favoring the 390XP as a FELLING Saw, and the 395XP as a BUCKING Saw..

Doug :cheers:
the specs on the 480 are 19.4 pounds with a 18 inch bar and chain. I was hoping since Cliff R has both the 480 and the 395 he could provide first hand perspective on the difference. thank you for the help. I guess I could take the 24 inch bar of my 480 and weigh the power head on the scale. Just doing research as I don't want to buy the wrong saw for my needs

Back