Husqvarna 390XP vs 395XP ...which one is the better saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just guessing, but it seems that the lighter weight of the 390XP makes it more desirable for felling, the power of the 395XP earns it more points in bucking where weight isn't as critical.

So it seems HOW you are going to use the saw the most, will play a role in deciding which saw is the better fit for you.

Doug :cheers:

I've owned and worked with both saws, albeit the older versions.

288xp which is now the 390xp
394xp which is now the 395xp

I personally found the 394 a little heavy to lug around the woods, up and down the hills all day felling and limbing, but loved it at the landing bucking logs.

The 288xp was my go to saw, and still my favorite all around.

Depends on your own circumstances and how you're gonna use it most

"I was hoping since Cliff R has both the 480 and the 395 he could provide first hand perspective on the difference. thank you for the help."

I don't own a 395 but have worked on them and have ran them. It's tough to compare the older 480CD with any modern offering having considerably more displacement. Although an older model 480's are pretty strong for the CC's, but will not be on par with any of the models that replaced it, such as the 181SE, for example.

When you move up to a 395XP it's going to have more power everyplace and want to run at higher RPM's in the cut. They will also pull much longer bars with greater authority.

A 480CD shows it's colors best with a 20" bar and will do very well with a 24". I've ran a 30 skip tooth on mine now for quite a few years but seldom require that much bar so it's not seeing a lot of use these days.

A 395XP will run a 24" full comp with much greater authority than a 480CD does with a 20" bar, and it should being a more modern design and more displacement.

I still wouldn't turn my back on a 480CD, they are tough as nails and plenty of "grunt" where the trend for most of Husqvarna's later Pro designs concentrate the power at higher RPM's and like to stay there in the cut........Cliff

"I was hoping since Cliff R has both the 480 and the 395 he could provide first hand perspective on the difference. thank you for the help."

I don't own a 395 but have worked on them and have ran them. It's tough to compare the older 480CD with any modern offering having considerably more displacement. Although an older model 480's are pretty strong for the CC's, but will not be on par with any of the models that replaced it, such as the 181SE, for example.

When you move up to a 395XP it's going to have more power everyplace and want to run at higher RPM's in the cut. They will also pull much longer bars with greater authority.

A 480CD shows it's colors best with a 20" bar and will do very well with a 24". I've ran a 30 skip tooth on mine now for quite a few years but seldom require that much bar so it's not seeing a lot of use these days.

A 395XP will run a 24" full comp with much greater authority than a 480CD does with a 20" bar, and it should being a more modern design and more displacement.

I still wouldn't turn my back on a 480CD, they are tough as nails and plenty of "grunt" where the trend for most of Husqvarna's later Pro designs concentrate the power at higher RPM's and like to stay there in the cut........Cliff
thanks. I guess my specific question is which saw out of the 2, 390 and 395 are closest to weight with the 480cd. The 480 is pretty heavy and even though only using it for bucking now kind of wears me out so I don’t want to go much heavier. I read the specs on all 3 saws. I’m looking for perceived weight when grabbing them ? Do you recall if the 395 felt much heavier?

Two different saws for sure.
390 is the 288 replacement and is more pitite. Probably better for most use till you need a really big saw. The 395 is meant to be more of a 404 saw. For people who need the 3120 but can't take that weight. If I remember right the 390 take s the smaller clutch while the 395 takes the 3120 clutch?

And to add further, the 395 is a once in a while saw. Milling or big felling. I've used the 288 all day long with a heavy Oregon 28" bar on it. Really reminds me more of a 70cc saw then high 80 to 90cc. I'm above average in stature but would think any average guy with good saw experience could swing the 390 all day with a light bar on it if he had to. The 395 not so much.

395xp ... 390xp has some problems with major components breaking ! In fact Sucksvarna has been having a lot ofQC issues as of late ... the 395xp is a large sword to handle ... if you have the strength and stamina to wield it - you will slay any in your path ... if not ... get stronger!!

I don't think anyone is slinging a 395 all day, unless he's solely sticking it into large trees and felling only. The walk to the next tree is the resting period, lol. But dropping a tree and completely cutting it up, rinse repeat? Constant cutting? I don't think so. I probably could have done it 7 years ago, but I also beat a lot of ass in strength sports at the time also. And that's being nowhere near the realm of average or even slightly above. Again two different saws for two different uses.

Stihls first saw weighed over 100 pounds and was a two man - op ... off top o the head the 395xp is what 22lbs with 25” b/c ? We’ve come along way !

for ***** and giggles I just put the 480 CD fitted with a 24 inch bar and chain on the wifes digital scale. the saw has fuel but some oil leaked out while sitting. scale read 22.7 pounds. not sure how accurate it is. I have no issues using the 480 bucking large rounds for a few hours. wouldn't want to do it for 4 hours straight though. and I do look forward to refueling. The 480 used to be my only saw and was used from brush and limbing as well as bucking. only cut firewood not in the business.

I think the 390xp w/24" bar would be the better 'all around' saw for your needs, and won't wear you out lugging it around.

I logged with it's predecessor, the 288xp, 8 hours a day for years and never gave any thought to it's weight. (Yes, my knees are shot, but that's from the mountainous terrain, not from carrying the saw)

However, if you really feel you need a 32" or 36" bar for firewood cutting, you better get the 395xp. Those big bars are gonna eat up some HP, especially in Oak, Hickory etc.

Safety note: If you've never operated a chainsaw, you'd be well served to start out with a MUCH smaller saw than either of these until you learn some technique and know what's you're doing.

I don't think anyone is slinging a 395 all day, unless he's solely sticking it into large trees and felling only. The walk to the next tree is the resting period, lol. But dropping a tree and completely cutting it up, rinse repeat? Constant cutting? I don't think so. I probably could have done it 7 years ago, but I also beat a lot of ass in strength sports at the time also. And that's being nowhere near the realm of average or even slightly above. Again two different saws for two different uses.

A 395 isn’t horrible to use all day long even with a 42 on it, I’d hate to use one just for bucking though my back hurts even thinking about it. You get out here to the PNW you’ll see a lot of 395’s and 390’s depending on wood and bark conditions plus the condition of your back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it were me, I would look at neither of those saws. New user with a 390, or even 372? And only owns 4 acres? That land will be clear cut before the first spark plug change with a 390. Not to mention the safety factor of giving a new operator more saw than he can handle.

I have 200 acres, and have heated exclusively with wood for the past decade. Have a Stihl 021, husky 55 rancher, and husky 346. Recently bought an Echo 590 and a Stihl 362, but only just last month.

If I didn’t own a saw and was in the OP’s situation I would look at nothing bigger than 60cc. My 590 echo is surprising, even running back to back with the Stihl. My 55 Rancher was my only saw for about 5 years, and did fine with a 20” bar. Now that I have the bigger saws I bumped it down to a 16” bar though.

Also, OP lives 4 hours away from me and likely has similar forests. My friend has been a professional logger for 20 years and has a 2-saw plan to bring in the woods with him. A 390xp that he cuts with, and another 390xp that’s in the skidder in case he has a breakdown. I find it hard to believe that a firewood cutter needs a bigger saw than a logger.

I’ve ran my friend’s 390. It’s an animal, and I wouldn’t recommend it to most people.

Tramp Bushler, I appreciate the advice! Everyone keeps telling me to get the 372. I wish I knew someone local that had both the 395 and the 372 so I could try both of them. I generally always get the most power I can. That is why I bought a 500cc 2-stroke dirt bike instead of the more common and easier to handle 250cc. It is a Honda CR500AF. I also have a Trail Blazer SS, Impala SS, and a Camaro Z/28. I get the fastest one in its class. That is just my mindset and it applies to saws too.

Back to chainsaws: Everyone is telling me to get the 372. Is it really that much more user friendly and easier to handle?

I love when I’m on a trail ride with my ‘little’ bikes and someone on a 500 2 smoke or 450 4 stroke shows up. It means I get to take breaks while they fight with their bike.

I love when I’m on a trail ride with my ‘little’ bikes and someone on a 500 2 smoke or 450 4 stroke shows up. It means I get to take breaks while they fight with their bike.
I never fought with my 91' kx 500 back in the day. Are they growing bikes or people differently now?

If it were me, I would look at neither of those saws. New user with a 390, or even 372? And only owns 4 acres? That land will be clear cut before the first spark plug change with a 390. Not to mention the safety factor of giving a new operator more saw than he can handle.

I have 200 acres, and have heated exclusively with wood for the past decade. Have a Stihl 021, husky 55 rancher, and husky 346. Recently bought an Echo 590 and a Stihl 362, but only just last month.

If I didn’t own a saw and was in the OP’s situation I would look at nothing bigger than 60cc. My 590 echo is surprising, even running back to back with the Stihl. My 55 Rancher was my only saw for about 5 years, and did fine with a 20” bar. Now that I have the bigger saws I bumped it down to a 16” bar though.

Also, OP lives 4 hours away from me and likely has similar forests. My friend has been a professional logger for 20 years and has a 2-saw plan to bring in the woods with him. A 390xp that he cuts with, and another 390xp that’s in the skidder in case he has a breakdown. I find it hard to believe that a firewood cutter needs a bigger saw than a logger.

I’ve ran my friend’s 390. It’s an animal, and I wouldn’t recommend it to most people.

Yep.
Gotta love it when ya see a weekend warrior firewood scrounger out there just a gettin’ it, smoke boiling off their chain, and 90% of the wood they’re cutting is 12” to 18” diameter, fighting that big saw sporting a 36 inch bar! Lol
But hey, if it makes em’ feel like Paul Bunyan, it’s their money.

Yep.
Gotta love it when ya see a weekend warrior firewood scrounger out there just a gettin’ it, smoke boiling off their chain, and 90% of the wood they’re cutting is 12” to 18” diameter, fighting that big saw sporting a 36 inch bar! Lol
But hey, if it makes em’ feel like Paul Bunyan, it’s their money.

My favorite saw is still my 021 with a 14” bar. Super light, I can run it all day and never get tired. Anything under 8” or so I grab it every time. It’s also the only saw that goes with me on every cutting trip, no matter the tree size. I can always find an excuse to run it.

Back