Husqvarna 390XP vs 395XP ...which one is the better saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl 032Av
Stihl 045AV Super
Husky 55
Husky 272xp (currently restoring)
Husky 288xp
Husky 394xp

Out of all my saws owned, my favorite ‘firewood saw’ and the one I grab most often when cutting anything less than say 20 inches, is the 55 w/a 16” bar, set up with 3/8” full comp, chisel.
That little saw has probably gotten more ‘abuse’ over it’s life time than even my logging saws, but it still runs strong and gets er’ done.

I
Stihl 032Av
Stihl 045AV Super
Husky 55
Husky 272xp (currently restoring)
Husky 288xp
Husky 394xp

Out of all my saws owned, my favorite ‘firewood saw’ and the one I grab most often when cutting anything less than say 20 inches, is the 55 w/a 16” bar, set up with 3/8” full comp, chisel.
That little saw has probably gotten more ‘abuse’ over it’s life time than even my logging saws, but it still runs strong and gets er’ done.
usually grab my 51, its only .325 but is light, and keeps on keeping on.

I just realized how old this thread is. OP hasn’t been here in like 6 months.

Lol, I never noticed that either!
Hey .... he'll have lots of good reading if he ever shows back up. Maybe then he'll be able to decide which damn saw he wants! :lol:

image.jpeg I'd get the 390. So easy to work on, plus a 385 J&P is just a bolt on proposition. When I think of the 394, 395 or 2100 I have dreams about boat anchors. And that goes for the 3120 too.
If I was tall, dark and handsome I'd get a 3120, but being a sawed off runt I'm maxed out at 90cc, no decomp., no base gasket.
I don't know about most of you woodticks, but I never tire of being a timber terrorist ,but I hate cat skinners. They have no regard for the resourse .

This is an old thread, but I’m making the decision between 372XP and 390 XP. I currently run just 2 saws, 55o XP and the 346 XP.(not one in each hand, however)... I’m lookin for a saw with more snort. I heat my house with wood and help the local farmers fell tree lines, etc. My preference would be a 20 or 24“ bar at max. The guy at the shop said both are good saws, but the 390 Xp with that bar would scream.
My questions: is there any longevity issues with either saw, if those are my 2 choices? AND will a notice a marked difference between the these saws and my 346 or 550?

I guess I’m not concerned with weight that much...I’m 6’4 and 230. And i have 10 kids with the same bride, so I don’t mind hard work.

Thanks for the thoughts.

bob

My logging friend runs 372xp exclusively now, he used to run 390xp before he got "old and tired" (his saying not mine) I own a 390xp, I do mill with it a good bit since my 394 wore out. So it pulls double duty for me. I have a 24" bar and 36" bar for it. It eats whatever I ask it to, it's been very reliable and easy to take care of. If I had a do over I'd still get the 390xp, my 562xp takes care of all the smaller stuff for me.

From what I been reading the Husqvarna 288xp is better than a 385 Xp/390xp. This would steer me towards the 395xp. But this being your first Husqvarna saw I would try a 266/268 first if you can find a good used one.

From what I been reading the Husqvarna 288xp is better than a 385 Xp/390xp. This would steer me towards the 395xp. But this being your first Husqvarna saw I would try a 266/268 first if you can find a good used one.
What would that be? Owning both(390/394) I cant say one is/was better than the other. Both served me well, but for different purposes.

This is an old thread, but I’m making the decision between 372XP and 390 XP. I currently run just 2 saws, 55o XP and the 346 XP.(not one in each hand, however)... I’m lookin for a saw with more snort. I heat my house with wood and help the local farmers fell tree lines, etc. My preference would be a 20 or 24“ bar at max. The guy at the shop said both are good saws, but the 390 Xp with that bar would scream.
a 24" bar would be the minimum recommendation for the 390 imo
My questions: is there any longevity issues with either saw, if those are my 2 choices?
longevity wont/shouldn't be an issue with either, if you take care of them.
AND will a notice a marked difference between the these saws and my 346 or 550?
yes theres a noticable difference from even a ported 346xp (I own one) and either the 372 or 390, the 390 more so than the 372.
I guess I’m not concerned with weight that much...I’m 6’4 and 230. And i have 10 kids with the same bride, so I don’t mind hard work.

Thanks for the thoughts.

bob

View attachment 689082 I'd get the 390. So easy to work on, plus a 385 J&P is just a bolt on proposition. When I think of the 394, 395 or 2100 I have dreams about boat anchors. And that goes for the 3120 too.
If I was tall, dark and handsome I'd get a 3120, but being a sawed off runt I'm maxed out at 90cc, no decomp., no base gasket.
I don't know about most of you woodticks, but I never tire of being a timber terrorist ,but I hate cat skinners. They have no regard for the resourse .

I used a 2100 husky for decades in the firewood business. Nothing came close to me with a 2100. I sent a few so called wanna be partners packing. They couldn’t keep up.

My questions: is there any longevity issues with either saw, if those are my 2 choices? AND will a notice a marked difference between the these saws and my 346 or 550?

Thanks for the thoughts.

bob
If 24” is the max bar you’ll be running and you’ll be using 20” as well, get the 372.

Size of the power head, cc’s your not going to run a smaller cc power head with a 24” bar. Well with success. The size of the motor does limit the length of the bar you can use. I started out with a smaller 3.75 sears saw with a 18” bar. It was lacking power and cutting speed. I had a 2.0 sears saw too. I learned really quickly. I purchased a Husqvarna 2100 cd and a Husqvarna 240sg soon after. They were clearing for a new highway, free wood. The ones who cut faster got more wood. Later on I took off the 24” bar and ran 16” and 18” bars on the 2100. My local dealer made shorter bars for 404” chain. The rest is history.

A while back I purchased a new husky 385xp 32” bar and a 575 28” bar.
I had big trees at the saw mill to cut up that weren’t lumber quality. It took both saws cutting 10 cords of wood each to break in. At the time firewood was selling for $300 a cord seasoned.With the performance of both saws I noticed the 385xp was way faster when we buried both bar noses into the wood. The 575 cut but it was a tad slower. I didn’t think that 10 cc’s difference would be that much slower. If I knew that I would of purchased a 395 Xp and a 385 xp together.

Back