Husqvarna 41 a decent saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My buddy is just getting his feet wet with woodcutting and he doesn't have a lot of money to spend on a saw yet. He's asked me if a Husqvarna 41 is good. I like the size for him and I've gleaned specs from acres internet, but I can't find any info on here using the search function(When I do an advanced search with husqvarna 41 with titles only I still get a bunch of irrelevant threads...wtf?)

Any personal insights from USING this saw will be appreciated. thanks!

It is the big bore version of the 36. I was able to find the owners manual for them in pdf form and a workshop manual for them and a bunch of others.

I didn't buy the 36 but can use it any time. They probably aren't bought by folks that put a lot of use on them. The 41 is about at the upper limit of that low profile 3/8 chain so it should cut pretty fast. You can get that kind of chain pretty cheap. The husky h-35 chain is the thinnest kerf I have found, the oregon vxl is the most common but has a bigger cutter. I am not too pleased with the chain oil output and it hasn't has sawdust in the tank. It actually might be more economic to use less oil and get another bar if you find the bars cheap. Not built like the dolmar 350-420 kind of saw you should be able to find a lot on if you search this site but is is a bit lighter smaller and to me seems to handle better. I have no Idea how many log trucks it could dice up before being used up. It is made in usa says so on a little plate you can see when you go to put a chain on it.

Fran

I bought one new in the early 90's, I had it for years, never did like it. I sold it.
This was my second saw, first was 65 Husky. At the time I thought all Huskies were good saws.

Thanks for the info as I was wondering if it was a poulan or homeowner type model. It still may work fine for my buddy's first saw as he's really not used one much yet. I've got a lot of "safety preaching" to do before we let him loose with a 660.:msp_biggrin:

I need to get someone else hooked by CAD too so I don't spend all my money on saws!

I've got one and with a 16 inch b&c it does alright. Mine is kind of mint so I don't use it much.

The 41 was built by Poulan, but it isn't just a rebranded cheap Poulan. the 36 and 41 were the cheapest "Husky" saws of their day (mainly the 1990s).

I have a 141 which is pretty much the same saw. 16 inch bar and 3/8lp chain does a respectable job for a 40cc size saw.I have no complaints.

I have a 142 that I put an opened up 141 muffler on. I like it a lot with a 16" 0.043" Microlite chain. It's light, well balanced and goes like stink with that bar & chain. Plenty of oil too.

so you can make an informed decision...

site: arboristsite.com ("husqvarna 41") - copy/paste that into the google search bar. There's another member here that has great search instructions in his sig. Don't recall who that is though.

good beginner saw.
When I was a saw newbie I purchased my 41 new and as my first saw. It has run flawlessly since new. I actually sold it to a used-to-be friend. He abused it for a few years and I ended up getting it back when he broke the clutch cover. P&C still look great and I know it has cut many face cord of wood.
Now that AS has edumakated me about pro saws I use the 41 very little. It has a great big 10 or 12 inch banana bar on it for limbing.

I like the 41

Yes, the 41 shares many of the same parts with some Poulan saws of the same vintage. As Niko points out though, the 36 and 41 seem to be of higher quality. I have run quite a few and I concur. The 141, 136, 36, and 41 are all very similar, but there are differences in the plastics, carbs, and mufflers. The 36 and the 41 are the earliest models and therefore are not encumbered with the EPA mufflers and carbs. I REALLY don't know what they were thinking with the plastics on the 136 and 141, but they fade to an odd salmon color. The 36 and the 41 are pretty true to Husky orange.

Basically, these saws are super light and have pretty good power. Open that muffler up and have some fun. No, they're not super high quality, but they cut well, they're easy on your back, and they're Huskies! I keep a nice 41 on tap myself.

Enjoy!

Back