Husqvarna 42 Special Parts Saw Value

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua Tabora

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
There's a posting on FB marketplace near me for a Husqvarna 42 Special, with no compression. I'm assuming the top end is blown, and a prior thread left the interchangeability of the 42 special/242 top end parts unclear. The seller wants $100, but the ad has been up for weeks so I'm going to counteroffer. Does this seem like a good idea? Should the saw be consigned to parts or is it worth trying to rebuild?

I got a complete 242 for $75. It needs a carb rebuild (Bottom one in the pic).

7BACFFA2-AF90-4B8F-B183-B18F7386AA1A.jpeg

They are desirable saws... but parts are hard to come by and it’s probably worth $100 just in parts. Seeing as how it’s been listed for a while, it wouldn’t hurt to offer less and see if he will let it go cheap.

View attachment 734301

They are desirable saws... but parts are hard to come by and it’s probably worth $100 just in parts. Seeing as how it’s been listed for a while, it wouldn’t hurt to offer less and see if he will let it go cheap.

View attachment 734301

I ended up picking the saw up for $60. Sure enough, the piston is badly scored. I'm in the process of cleaning the aluminum transfer out of the cylinder, but it looks as if there is some flaking on one of the transfer ports. I've got a
replacement meteor piston coming, but I don't have leads on a replacement cylinder. I'd appreciate any inputs?

Attachments

• 20190510_151229.jpg
    20190510_151229.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
hope you can return the Meteor piston.
The piston crown is 0.8mm lower the a OEM slug
I decided to drop that meteor piston in, and it does run. The cylinder is also a replacement, but it is an oem. The meteor piston is indeed shorter than the piston that came in the saw, but was a matching height to the piston that came with the replacement cylinder! To make things even more complicated, the piston that came with a replacement cylinder had openings next to the holes for the wrist pin, where the original and meteor piston had none. I'm confused! The saw bogs down easily in the cut, but I'm not sure if its because it's having problems with compression. Could be the chain is dull. I'll trpubleshoot more tomorrow and get back to you guys.

There are still some good deals out there if we look.

I purchased another older husky 240s or 240se not sure what it is yet. I haven’t unpacked it. I have two 240s saws and I just purchased three new 40 mm pistons go figure.

Sure enough, the saw won't build enough pressure. It seems I didn't get all the aluminum transfer either, because there are very light marking visible through the muffler port :( Any suggestions? Is my only option to source an OEM piston of the correct height or can I increase compression with this setup in another way?

20190521_074133.jpg

Back