husqvarna 440-XTORQ (REVIEW BY- LOGGER)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i didn't see any issue either....

please don't carry it on in my thread anyway.

back to the saw anyway guys,i will weigh it tomorrow and post it up,also i am considering doing a review on my 365sp
who thinks this is a good idea or not?

i didn't see any issue either....

please don't carry it on in my thread anyway.

back to the saw anyway guys,i will weigh it tomorrow and post it up,also i am considering doing a review on my 365sp
who thinks this is a good idea or not?

I'll read it, I enjoy your 'real world working saws' reviews.

If you find some fresh Guiness Extra Stout draught, please enjoy a pint (a proper Imperial pint, of course) for me :cheers:.

I'll read it, I enjoy your 'real world working saws' reviews.

If you find some fresh Guiness Extra Stout draught, please enjoy a pint (a proper Imperial pint, of course) for me :cheers:.

thanks for the nice word :) i am not a major drinking person,to be honest i am an occasional drinker,but then i can drink quite a lot and have been known to stand on two feet drinking when everyone else is knocked out :D

anyway,believe it or not i had 3 nice pints of gunness yesterday evening,and nice and cold they were! went down with not much effort :D

i will start work on that 365 review asap.... :msp_wink:

So I'm Clear...We're Talking About The 440 E-Series, Right

Hello Everyone:

A bit off topic but......we're looking at the Husqvarna 440 E-Series here, correct? I'm looking to buy and am having trouble trying to find the difference(s) between the 440 and the 440-e. Can someone help me out?

Thanks!

Kevin

i paid 450 wyk,prices are always a little higher here,it's a great little saw though,nice and light which helps.

offtopic a little, are you busy?

I am about to go to carlow to 'tree care ireland' one of the days and finish out my courses. will be good to have them all done.
where did you do yours?

I was at TCI as well. I did my 30a, 30b, and 31 there in May of 2011. I suggest ya take the the 30-31 combo course that last a week. I think FAS has a grant to pay for it as well. They are all treeclimbers, and are incredibly fit, and a bit cocky or stoic, but good chaps. I was studying with Kevin AKA Kev, a ginger Brit.

Yer gonna learn a lot of techniques, which is good. But a lot of the techniques are to overemphasize safety, like engaging the brake every half second seemingly :) But get in the habit of doing it how they show you because that is exactly what the tester will look for, whom will be independent of these guys; and ya may get lucky and meet the tester that owns a Buell that I thought was pretty cool. I especially appreciated learning techniques for felling, grounding, and moving trees in tight canopy environments - very handy while I was in England.

BTW, here's an interesting story for ya. I called information(I forget which one) and I asked for "Tree Care Ireland" after I realized I had entered their number wrong in my mobile. The lovely gal on the phone with a bit of a northern accent takes a moment and then tells me, "We've not got a 'Three Car Eireann'"

Thank you for that one, Ireland.

I'll be back in Ireland this fall.

Last edited:
wyk,

see my post you "quoted" it's strange cause i can't see it here on the thread,i was going to repost the comment until you quoted on it but then wondered how did you quote it when i can't see my own post....strange....

anyway,yeah i think it was a kevin fella i was talking to also believe it or not,they sound like a nice bunch of lads in fairness,yeah that was the one i was told to do also the week course,it's worth it too,yeah i think FAS will pay 500per course which isn't bad at all considering it's 1200 i think for the week course,not bad at all..

the city and guilds certs are the best and are for life,so well worth having it,i might set up a proper buisness on the side with it too later on i mean a proper tree care buisness,as i say i wouldn't do it full time but would be nice to have it on the side like i do now,a lad can always put the name in then with ESB and county council etc and be on call to take away storm damaged trees etc. good demand for that here.

Last edited:
There was a server reboot about 512AM or so PDT. And it seemingly restored to a 12AM PDT back-up from what I could tell? It was early for me, and I had been up all night, so could easily be mistaken. I ended up losing 2 posts. But since it happened in the middle of the second one, as I often do when the server is slow, I copy my post before hitting 'submit' just in case the server loses it out of habit. So when it came back, I simply pasted it, at which point it contained a quote of your lost post.

EBS is supposedly a nice outfit to work for. I applied last time I was back there, but was told they weren't hiring. Not surprising. Isn't unemployment in Ireland something like 19%? They claim it's 8-9% here, but that number only includes people looking for jobs in states that keep track of that info, or folks that still can claim unemployment. Some estimate our unemployment is nearly double what's reported. I believe it, I hadn't found steady work in years since I was a field engineer for Philip's Medical Systems in the early naughties. This next trip off to Ireland I'll be doing volunteer work for an animal rescue for room and board. I'll be in Tipperary mostly. Last time out, the bud I usually stay with in Dublin miraculously got accepted into a University in Liverpool, so I really didn't have a place to stay to belay the costs. Now I have somewhere to stay, food, and a small stipend. So I imagine I'll be in Ireland for a long while this time.

Last edited:
There was a server reboot about 512AM or so PDT. And it seemingly restored to a 12AM PDT back-up from what I could tell? It was early for me, and I had been up all night, so could easily be mistaken. I ended up losing 2 posts. But since it happened in the middle of the second one, as I often do when the server is slow, I copy my post before hitting 'submit' just in case the server loses it out of habit. So when it came back, I simply pasted it, at which point it contained a quote of your lost post.

EBS is supposedly a nice outfit to work for. I applied last time I was back there, but was told they weren't hiring. Not surprising. Isn't unemployment in Ireland something like 19%? They claim it's 8-9% here, but that number only includes people looking for jobs in states that keep track of that info, or folks that still can claim unemployment. Some estimate our unemployment is nearly double what's reported. I believe it, I hadn't found steady work in years since I was a field engineer for Philip's Medical Systems in the early naughties. This next trip off to Ireland I'll be doing volunteer work for an animal rescue for room and board. I'll be in Tipperary mostly. Last time out, the bud I usually stay with in Dublin miraculously got accepted into a University in Liverpool, so I really didn't have a place to stay to belay the costs. Now I have somewhere to stay, food, and a small stipend. So I imagine I'll be in Ireland for a long while this time.

thanks for the update,you sound like a good worker in fairness,very nice of you do that work for the welfare for animals,fair play to you to be able to move around so much and try as hard as you do,if i had more work i would ask you straight out if you would be able to lend a hand,but unfortunately the work i have in the woods is really quite this year,the weather is the worst part,it is effecting everyone,farmers inc,it has been one of the worst years recorded here in ireland.

but hey,if things change next year and i happen to get really busy,i could be sending you a PM,but who knows by then you could be flat out busy yourself.

so have you any family?

are you from america origionaly?

i wish you the best in the mean time in ireland,i hope the weather and the people are kind.

in general,in a nutshell.....work here is really quite,the worst in years,ireland is in a real recession,people like me figure ways to adapt,i am lucky to be still building if a little quite,extensions,small building jobs keep me very busy when i am not in the woods,i also work selling the firewood as you all know from here,when work goes quite i am entitled to draw government stamps, claiming weekly which i have paid in for years so i suppose i am lucky enough.
but yes,work in ireland is very dried up right now,it is mainly only the undercutters who are out busy at the moment in most trades,no big money to be made.a lot of lads are only bringing home a weeks wages if lucky,but to be very honest i suppose it's like this worldwide!?? i hear it's gone tough even in ozz....

Last edited:
I was actually born in Japan of all places, on a military base. My father was US air force. So I am used to moving around.I was orphaned when I started college. SO, while it made things difficult, it coulda been worse. I have distant ties to Ireland and Scotland, but closer ties to my Cherokee, Japanese, and German blood. I'm a typical AMerican mutt. Spent about half my life in California and Texas, and the rest in points in between. I have about 3 years or so spent in Ireland and a few months in England.

I was up all night working the details out on my visa and the transport of my greyhound back to Ireland. It's a lot of little things you have to cover in order for it to work. If things go well, this time my visa will be for 3 years instead of just 2. We'll see. I would have stayed longer last time, but as ya know - there's just no jobs. So volunteering is sort of skirting that and it's an entirely different type of Visa work permit.

Thanks for the thoughts, mate. Preciate ya looking out for me. Without family, all I gots are what friends I make and whatever charity they have since steady work has eluded me. Supposedly, there's work, forestry even, in NZ...

I hope things go well for ya, man. Folks stateside prolly dunno how bad it is in Ireland right now. I wish you all well. And, if things work out, soon I'll be in the same handbasket you're in ;)

Last edited:
It is 41cc, not 40 - and I don't buy for a second that the toolless chain tensioner is an asset, more like a gimmick...:givebeer:

It is 41cc, not 40 - and I don't buy for a second that the toolless chain tensioner is an asset, more like a gimmick...:givebeer:

thanks for the more technical said of it saw troll, i don't get in to exact fine detail all the time,i assume people know it's a round the mark 40cc saw,i'm sure one cc isn't going to make any major differnce in the cutting time ;) but yeah thanks for the update that is is 41cc.

as i said already i think the tooless tensioner is excellent,i use this saw very heavily,it does a lot of work,it's a great job,it's very easy to undo and when you get used of it you always screw it back on the same way and the same torque there or there abouts...anything that saves you taking around a belt of tools is a bonus,but each to there own,i'm not majorily fussy either to be honest so i adapt and get used to a thing after a while,we all have differnt opinions,i just happen to like it.

i think the saw can get away with it been a small light saw.

thanks for the more technical said of it saw troll, i don't get in to exact fine detail all the time,i assume people know it's a round the mark 40cc saw,i'm sure one cc isn't going to make any major differnce in the cutting time ;) but yeah thanks for the update that is is 41cc.

as i said already i think the tooless tensioner is excellent,i use this saw very heavily,it does a lot of work,it's a great job,it's very easy to undo and when you get used of it you always screw it back on the same way and the same torque there or there abouts...anything that saves you taking around a belt of tools is a bonus,but each to there own,i'm not majorily fussy either to be honest so i adapt and get used to a thing after a while,we all have differnt opinions,i just happen to like it.

i think the saw can get away with it been a small light saw.

Thanks for the feedback logger12345. I believe that it is only a problem for those who change out chains for resharpening. Guessing by the amount of work you have on your saw I believe that the tooless chain adjuster has proven it's sturdiness. If you sharpen your chain on the saw then it shouldn't be a problem. How often do you need to readjust after mounting a new chain that is stretching after the first few uses?

Thanks for the feedback logger12345. I believe that it is only a problem for those who change out chains for resharpening. Guessing by the amount of work you have on your saw I believe that the tooless chain adjuster has proven it's sturdiness. If you sharpen your chain on the saw then it shouldn't be a problem. How often do you need to readjust after mounting a new chain that is stretching after the first few uses?

i can't believe how good it is actually,when i put on a new chain it only needs one firm up maybe after an hours cutting,it's a very sturdy set up and easy to undo and tighten when you get used to it,i just leave my gloves on and i torque it on the same amount all the time,it always goes to the same position and you sort of memorise it when you squeeze it back on.

small hardwood branches are a nightmare though and always make the chain loose but this is the case with any saw,they pinch the bar and chain sometimes when limbing.

-logger

I'd like to discuss these with you.

- hard to start
( the saw can be a tricky thing when you let it sit for 5 minutes after cutting,it was always this way,main reason is it cools down really fast after cutting,so you try to start it after 5mins but it won't fire,cause it needs choke,as i say after letting it sit for 5 minutes you never remember it cools down so fast,so you forget it needs choke,then you pull and pull and get.......tired.......and before you continue you are already tired,this really just is something you need to think about and remember,it really is operator error.
You mention choke, which is both choke and high idle. What happens for you with only high idle?

- can bog a little
( unless you have the chain really sharp don't try and cut hardwoods the bar length cause it won't happen,it will anoy you bogging down,keep it sharp then it will power through,i can forget sometimes it's 40cc and treat it like the larger displacment 365cc for example, it needs some TLC
Same issue, different conclusion. My take on cutting green wood, from your photos everything is green, is it's the NK chain and the noodles/chips. I've found that the NK chain will not clear the noodles/chips when using the full bar and the chain binds and then the clutch slips of the engine bogs.

What say you?

RTFM!

Warm restart, engage choke, disengage choke, pull starter. The engageing/imediate disengaging of the choke sets the high idle aka starting circuit of the carb.

With that family of saws especially the lil ones dont just grab the recoil handle and pull, gently pull till you feel some resistance then give er.

Latest posts

Back