Husqvarna 450 no power in cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tankgijohn72

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Have husqvarna 450 rancher and need some help with it. It starts and runs fine. Maybe a little sluggish when pulling the trigger, but not bad. TAC shows idle around 3000rpm and full throttle is 9500-10,000. Problem is there is absolutely no power if trying to cut. Will barely pull the chain on a 4" piece of ash. New carb, spent some time trying to adjust it to no avail. Replaced fuel filter. Fuel is new and runs fine in my other Husq 450. Checked exaust and spark arrester, completely clean. Just about out of ideas before i take it to someone else to fix. Any ideas? thanks in advance.

Didnt see anything in the clutch area. It very well could be the carb adjustment. Spent quite a bit of time with two different carbs and basically achieved the same results. To be fair it is my first time adjusting the carbs. One thing i read online, but havent gotten to mess with yet is it possible that the fuel vent is clogged and not allowing proper fuel flow?

It ran good when i bought it. Was a factory refurb. Ran for a couple years. Had an issue with the ignition coil and sat for maybe 9 months before I got around to replacing it. Anything i could have screwed up there? Dont see how that could affect the power since it is clearly firing.

I think i had the High jet turned out approx 3 turns and that seemed to be running well. will give it another shot and see if i can get it tuned.

The max power speed for that saw is noted as about 9,000 rpm, but I would think that you’d need a higher max rpm in free air (piss rev’d), so that when it gets in the wood, it’ll drop down into the 9k range... sounds like you’re H adjustment is too rich??? Can you adjust it the carb leaner?

Carb adjustments did it. Finally got it to cut through a good sized piece of ash without too much of an issue. Still needs some fine tuning. What no load speed at wide open throttle should it be set at? im at 11,000. Husqvarna shows max power speed of 9,000 rpm on their website. Is that under load? If so, im way to lean. If i open up the H jet i just dont get the power needed to keep the chain moving in the cut. Thoughts?

Do you have a manual? Sometimes it seems harder to find the published max engine speeds for Huskys than for Stihl, as Husky advertises max power/rpm, and you’ve seen. I’ll bet it’s around 12,000-12,500, just guessing though...
If you’re aware of what “4 stroking” is, you can probably adjust it that way, and I’d bet you’d end up around the 12-12.5k...
Good luck.

Latest posts

Back