Husqvarna 450 side cover removed with chain break engaged!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbo74

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just bought this thing, and fook! I cannot get the break over the drum, I cannot turn the break with needle noses, I cannot install the spring with the break disengaged. What a stupid design!

I have the cover on, the break is frozen up, I can not move it. It feels like if I use any more pressure...I'm gonna break this cheesy plastic handle.

This is what you get when you buy cheap ass crap! Now I guess I need to buy a new break handle. Why they would have a plastic to metal contact in an area with so much stress baffles me. But seriously, something is wrong with the break...so I may as well buy a new side cover too.

Attachments

• 0707181509.jpg
    0707181509.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 75
I love how we ignored the "remove the clutch" advice, which would be foolproof. But would also require a little more effort finding tools:p

No, just lightly set the cover in an lean the cover so the mechanisms lightly lock/mesh, cover cocked, and pull back the handle. There is enough plastic meat left to get her done!!
The brake won't budge. Without the spring in it the pivot seems ok, but with the spring installed it won't pivot. I tried to install the cover, and unlock the brake that way, and that's how I messed up the plastic. There is something not right here.

Attachments

• 0707181752.jpg
    0707181752.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 54
It takes more muscle, and a little finesse, than you think. I always pat myself on the back for getting the spring installed.

I love how we ignored the "remove the clutch" advice, which would be foolproof. But would also require a little more effort finding tools:p
Of course, since the one's posting cannot manage to remove and install the sprocket cover, one has to be hesitant to try to tell them to remove a clutch, especially on one of thos squirrelly little Husqapoulans!!!

It takes more muscle, and a little finesse, than you think. I always pat myself on the back for getting the spring installed.
I can install the spring, with the break in the locked position, but I'm not strong enough to install the spring in the unlocked position...I tried really, really hard....I need to eat more wheaties or something.

I can install the spring, with the break in the locked position, but I'm not strong enough to install the spring in the unlocked position...I tried really, really hard....I need to eat more wheaties or something.
Nope. I totally understand what you're saying. The advice here is spot on.

I know you guys are giving me good advise, and I have install quite a few clutch covers. I know I messed up with this one..and I have tried everything you guys have suggested, with acception to removing the clutch. I tried 3 times to gently install the cover, and I'm getting the metal blades as deeply seated in the plastic receptacle as I can, it won't budge...there has got to be something wrong with the pivot point, I am using way more force then I should have to...and the brake won't release...I had the damn hand guard touching the handle, and it still won't release.

I think I saw a simpler solution then removing the clutch and drum. I just watched this one video where a guy removes his brake engagement lever/hand guard, and fits it into the brake mechanism to disengage the brake, he also had a three pronged tool that he ground out of a socket, that looked kind of handy. I'm gonna try the first method first, hopefully it works. I may sacrifice a socket anyway because its a good idea.

Back