Husqvarna 450 side cover removed with chain break engaged!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I will remove the clutch and drum then. The clutch side reverse threaded...right? Do I need to shove a rope in the cylinder? I saw one video where all someone did was fit a flat head in the clutch, and hit it with a hammer...the clutch came right off.

I use a brass punch if it isn't made for a socket to fit. Yes, remove spark plug and stuff some rope in, just make sure piston is almost to the top so you don't get it sticking out the exhaust port.

Steve

Do you have an angle grinder and cutting wheel. Make a 3 pronged socket for this and next time it happens or use air or electric impact to spin clutch off. Leave spark plug in, no need for rope or stop. Yes it is reverse thread.

Timbo, your'e frustrated. Step back, think, try to see how this all fits. If not take it to the dealer and beg them to show you once. Mike
I know I was very frustrated, but I also have kids, that won't step back, and let me do anything Without constant interuption.... Not to mention many visitors have stopped by today, and my phone blowing up every 5 min... I find myself rushing through stuff, because I have a lot to do, and nobody gives me the time to do anything. Man, it's been a hectic day. I am calmed down now, and the kids are going to bed soon, so maybe I'll give her a whirl in a little bit.

Get the spring installed with the brake band engaged then use an open end wrench that will fit in like when you were using the pliers. If you use a combination wrench some thing can be put into the box end to turn the wrench. It takes more force than you might expect but it will go if the mechanism is put together properly.

Well there you have it, my clutch and drum are off, the clutch cover is on. It still won't disengage! I'm telling you all, something is a-miss, and it isn't me. I think the part that pivots is screwed! I will disassemble and take a pic.0707182214.jpg

You're pulling the handle towards the wrap handle correct? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but I actually had a guy that brought one back and said the brake wouldn't disengage, but he was pushing on it instead pulling towards the wrap handle. Also, can you pull the brake handle freely backwards with the cover off?

Yes I am pulling it towards the handle, and yes the hand guard moves freely with the cover off. I know you had to ask, because you don't know me...but I know how a saw works...there is something wrong inside the brake mechanism. I actually moved it a bit earlier today with a needle nose, held with vise grips....it slipped, and ever since...it won't move a millimeter. I think I may have broke something.

Yes I am pulling it towards the handle, and yes the hand guard moves freely with the cover off. I know you had to ask, because you don't know me...but I know how a saw works...there is something wrong inside the brake mechanism.

Okay, I don't see anything obvious in the picture that is wrong. Looks like it's time to take it back.

wheres the cover that goes over the spring & mechanism? if thats not on there when trying to compress the spring during the unlocking movement then that would allow lateral binding. Also the whole cover may not be seated & located fully or properly which could be why its chewing the edges off the plastic engagement boss.

Here is the spring cover, it was on when I put the clutch cover on, it was seated all the way for sure the last time I tried. The part that's ate up happened earlier, before I removed the clutch and drum, when I know it wasn't seated well. There is a gap between the plastic spring cover, and the clutch cover...see picture.0707182318.jpg View attachment 661799
0707182312.jpg

Attachments

• 0707182311.jpg
    0707182311.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
watch the video above
I did, and learned a few things....but it don't help if the pivot mechanism won't pivot. I had the clutch cover on tight, with the clutch and drum removed...the hand guard fully seated in the brake mechanism, and it will not move. This can't be the first time this has happened to anyone.

Here is the spring cover, it was on when I put the clutch cover on, it was seated all the way for sure the last time I tried. The part that's ate up happened earlier, before I removed the clutch and drum, when I know it wasn't seated well. There is a gap between the plastic spring cover, and the clutch cover...see picture.View attachment 661798 View attachment 661799
View attachment 661801
that cover plate looks like its being forced out , maybe thats a sign of the white nylon mechanism not being in the correct location

It takes a surprising amount of force to move the mechanism. Make a 3 prong tool to stick in there like I showed in my video. Use an old deep socket and grind it to fit.

If it still doesn't move (never seen that) then pull the spring out and try the mechanism without the spring. These springs are under plenty of tension to hurt you so be super careful. Spring replacement is somewhere in my 300 vids lol.

Back