Husqvarna 450 side cover removed with chain break engaged!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would it work if you fabricate some sort of "stop" and epoxy it to the radius at the back of the channel - preventing it from oversliding into the binding position?

ya, thats chewed all up... video is saving now.

get a new brake handle for sure. the cover does work. my biggest suspicions are that A, the black plastic cover was not on properly, allowing the mechanism to pucker. and B, your brake handle has a worn business end lol. I can actuate it with my breaker bar and 3 pronged adapter. I imagine that with a new brake handle you'll get it just fine now

Well, thanks for fixing it. The Husky dealer told me to drive some short coarse thread Allen cap screws in the three holes of the business end of the break handle, I don't think that's a perminate solution, but it may be a temporary fix. I will get a new brake handle.

there is PLENTY of grease on that nylon bit. my handguard got a little chewed up and I'll bet it'll work fine once its on the saw and everything is a little more rigid.

again, I *think* the problem was that the cam mechanism was snapping too far back... likely allowed to pucker because the black plastic spring holder wasn't fully seated properly?

i'll try to ship out the cover monday

It's funny the whole time I struggled with this, in the back of my mind I knew something wasn't right about the way the plastic cover was seated. I thought the plastic spring retainer may not be in the correct position. I fiddled with it for a while...but found no solution. After that, I just assumed it overtraveled, and something bent.
I plan to make a tool out of a socket, as soon as the cover comes back. Well, all in all....I did learn a few things from this ordeal. One of the main things I learned, is to try and keep things as stress free as possible....otherwise Tim break stuff!

I don't think anything was wrong with that brake.
Those springs are just really heavy duty.
Get a 3 prong scrench and lube it up a bit.
Good vid thanks for the show n tell!

Again. ...at this point I think it was somehow over rotated ...possibly having to so with that black cover. Possibly something is bent too....but it's hard to see. Lord knows what happened during the removal

I'll ship it out tomorrow to Tim and he can give the report

Back