husqvarna 51

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkhunter

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to the chainsaw world. I'm a diesel mechanic I know a little about saws, but have some questions. I have a husqvarna 51 that needs to get rebuild but I want to get more power out of it. I was reading online about changing it to closed port. I have no idea where to begin. Maybe I can get some advice? I'm using it to drop trees on my land and do firewood, but I just want more power and cutting speed. Any ideas?

51's are good saws. I have a 51 with a hyway 55 top end on it, and a muffler mod. It's stronger than my old mans stock 55. I can't speak for the closed ports but I seem to remember reading on here that you can't tell them apart unless the ports are opened up. Closed port cylinders are also harder to find. Muffler mod and retune the carb will be the easiest to free up power.

Its easy to tell closed port 55s from others, there will be noticeable bulges on either side of the jug, with one side (pto side i think) having a series of plus signs ++++. Oem pistons arent available for closed port top ends, lil red barn is the only aftermarket i know of.

Latest posts

Back