Husqvarna 61 vs Stihl 036 pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_289

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Had to cut up a tree that fell at the farm today and had both out. Just for fun, what is the general consensus between these 2? One Grandfather preferred Husqvarna and the other Stihl so I ended up with one of each. I had a thread on the 61 last year when I brought it home and freshened it up. The Stihl I've had for 15 yrs or so. I like them both both but am partial to the 61 since it was the first saw I ever ran.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Can't say much about the 036, but I have cut several loads of wood with 61's over the years. As long as you kept the chain sharp, the 61 never left me feeling underpowered with a 20" bar. In fact, if I hadn't discovered 372XP's, I would have probably kept my 61's!

Different for everybody.
I had a Stihl 028 super that I really liked. Probably my first saw that I got on my own. Cut a lot of firewood with it. Then it ate the choke butterfly screw.
I had this and that piece of junk for years, til I bought the Echo CS4400 new. First new saw. Still have it. Its a good saw, but not remarkable by normal standards. I do like the pleated spin on air filter.
Then my dad gave me a Mcculloch Pro Mac 1010S that he had gotten from the utility co op that he worked for. A 1010S was what my grandfather had, and the first saw I got to run. I can understand him not giving me paw paws saw, as he was using HIS fathers saw still, so I have to wait my turn. I'm in no hurry to get that saw.
That 1010S has always impressed me with the torque and respectable speed in the cut it has for a 57 cc saw. Its also not heavy for its size, but I really learned things when I bought my Pro Mac 700.
Now thats a saw! Great power to weight. Doesnt vibrate the hands badly for a saw with no conventional anti vibe, and did I mention it has awesome torque? Then I got my 7-10 automatic. Even better.
I may start an argument here about who made the best saw, but it really doesnt matter. If you grew up running it, and it was your grandfathers saw, then it will always hold a special place for you.
Ive never run an 036 Pro, bit I have run a Husky white top 61. I'm sure they are both good saws. Well made, and made to last, just like the old Macs.
Dont worry about which one is best. They can both be favorites.

The newer versions of the 61 are great saws. But the 36 will always be lighter with at least as much power. Now if it was a 272 268 266 etc.. Same weight as a 61 but much more power. The biggest prob on the older 61 were the electronics going out. Not fond of the AV buffers either. That whole 61-272 series were legendary for durability. Well that and broken brake flags :)

Back