Husqvarna 65 rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnT34

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi there
I am wondering if anyone can advise me regarding a husqvarna 65 I am rebuilding
I bought this saw as a project build having just completed a rebuild on a 254xp (1995). And so far the posts on arboristsite have been a well of helpful info for both the current and previous projects
The 65 i have purchased had a scored piston and cylinder but did have 180 psi compression after 3 pulls when cold and started on 2nd pull from cold even with the scored piston ( exhaust side only). Not sure how the scoring occured could be straight petrol/gas but also the air filter was not mounted correctly when I got the saw so it was pulling unfiltered air.
I have stripped the saw completely replaced the 2 ring mahle piston with a single ring meteor piston 48mm (ordered but waiting on it). I have treated the cylinder with 37% HCl to remove aluminium transfer sanded with 400 grit wet and dry and polished with a scotch brite pad. The cylinder cleaned up very well.
I also stripped the carb (tillotson) and rebuilt it. However the carb was set at 3/4 turn for both the high and low screws does this sound right? Can anyone advise on the correct setting's
Also does anyone know what RPM should the high and low be set to under zero load (I have a tach)

Thanks for the help

These older saws do not turn as many rpm's and are a lot easier to tune by ear. As long as it four strokes and clears up in the cut you are good to go. 3/4 turn is probably a good place to start. Did you replace the seals or at least do a vac/ pressure check?

Unfortunately I don't have a pressure/vacuum tester
I was going to take a chance on the piston, and if I ran into trouble I would buy a vac tester, as overall I don't think this saw has a lot of work done. So hoping the seals are ok

Would 12000 RPM on the high screw under zero load be a safe speed

You will never get 12,000 rpm out of that saw. These old saws rely on torque not rpm. Acres website lists 7,000 rpm as max. I don't like setting them with a tach alone. People get too hung up on numbers. Make sure it four strokes and clears in the cut.

Back