Husqvarna 65l Piston HELP!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LumberJack1940

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been searching for a new piston for my Husqvarna 65l as the current one is toast. i have looked at a Husqvarna 365 piston and both measure 48mm and i was wondering could i use this as a suitable replacement without any mods? Jack.

The 65 and 265 use the same piston and Meteor makes one, watsonr can get you anything you need for that saw just send him a PM.

Thanks trophyhunter, i just was on ebay and found a meteor 65 piston for about 29.95 + 10.50 shipped. What i don't understand is that it has good compression and starts in about 1-3 pulls but the piston is scored to hell.

What's "good" compression, as in what psi does your saw make? It's worth a vac and pressure test just to check for any air leaks that may have been a culprit in it running lean and causing that scoring. That's a nice old saw I ran one for quite some time and it put up a bunch of firewood.

I'd stop running it and find the source of the problem, you may be able to save the cylinder.

man you have a 65l with a scored piston. I thought those were damn near bullet proof. me and a buddy got 3 for free and we purposely leaned one right out so it didn't four stroke at all. just screamed but it was only for the purpose of an experiment to see how much it could take. maybe it wasn't lean enough because the thing still runs almost 4 years later. not sure how the piston looks because we never cared to look just ran her hard. even though the others were just as good that one was our go to just so it took the most abuse. it fell and bucked many many tree's. I should really check into how those saws are doing. my buddy moved to Duncan which is the next 3 big cities over. I let him take them all because he had no saws and I had a bunch of new saws :) fix'er up. that thing is to husky like the 08s is to stihl. they don't cut fast but damn they last forever :rock:

See it sat in my shed for many years and i got into tinkering with small engines and got it to run and it isn't running lean but i think the scoring is from poorly mixed gas. a lot of my tools have went missing:angry: and the tester was one of them and that's why i bring my saws in to my auto shop class and do it there. i know its not the correct way of testing compression but if i hold the pull cord it drops down about every 2 seconds.

Yes westcoaster90 it sure is fun to run the saw but when i first got it running i was new to the whole saw fixing scene and didn't check the p&c before we ran it so it could have been scored before.

Might tear into sometime this month and was wondering what the chance is of scoring a cylinder for my 65l if the current one is trash.

$330 will get ya a nice newer used saw in good shape if you just want to cut wood. If it means a lot to ya, then maybe.

I'd sure be sending logging22 a PM if I were you.

Well all the tools that were left to me after my dad passed are near and dear to me and out of the tools the husky and mac 10-10 were the two chainsaws i received. Will have to see when i can get some more money as I'm currently saving up for a mcculloch (unknown model but i think its a 7-10 not really sure though) it comes with a 28 in bar and the guy said it has good compression but that could mean 120psi to him so we will have to wait and see.
View attachment 289392View attachment 289393

Helllo ever one, i also have a 65L Husky. i have run Huskys for years but never built one. My 65 run great, then one day it started to lose power and i notice too that it had very low comprehension. So i figured the ring failed. I pulled the muffler and looked at the piston, it looked good and the ring looked good too. i pulled the jug, it looks good as well and so dose the ring too . but on one side of the piston, above the ring and below the ring, it is dark lookin, kinda like burnt, but not that dark. I had another jug so i fit the piston in it and it fits just tight as it did in the original one. Am i barkin up the wrong tree? Could it be some other problem...Thank You

Ps I hope this was the right place to ask this question...:confused:

Helllo ever one, i also have a 65L Husky. i have run Huskys for years but never built one. My 65 run great, then one day it started to lose power and i notice too that it had very low comprehension. So i figured the ring failed. I pulled the muffler and looked at the piston, it looked good and the ring looked good too. i pulled the jug, it looks good as well and so dose the ring too . but on one side of the piston, above the ring and below the ring, it is dark lookin, kinda like burnt, but not that dark. I had another jug so i fit the piston in it and it fits just tight as it did in the original one. Am i barkin up the wrong tree? Could it be some other problem...Thank You

Ps I hope this was the right place to ask this question...:confused:
any body know???

any body know???
Hello, since then, I replaced the piston, ring, jug and kitted the carb. It runs great again now. I have also bought another l65. I did the same to it, new piston, ring, jug and kitted the carb as well and it runs great too. Thank you fur all the help with this problem from this forum. I would like to know, if this forum can answer this question, the second L65 I bought and got runnin good, it has bigger buckin splikes than the first L65, is there a difference between the two L65's...thank you...

Only differences I know are l65, 65l and the tomos. Mine is a tomos 65L that has the big spike. Just depends on what they put on it from factory. I prefer the larger spike and have a dual setup on mine. Glad to hear you got some solid saws going again. Did you get brand new oem cylinders or used? If you got new ones that must of been pricey

Only differences I know are l65, 65l and the tomos. Mine is a tomos 65L that has the big spike. Just depends on what they put on it from factory. I prefer the large and have a dual setup on mine. Glad to hear you got some solid saws going again. Did you get brand new oem cylinders or used? If you got new ones that must of been pricey
Only differences I know are l65, 65l and the tomos. Mine is a tomos 65L that has the big spike. Just depends on what they put on it from factory. I prefer the larger spike and have a dual setup on mine. Glad to hear you got some solid saws going again. Did you get brand new oem cylinders or used? If you got new ones that must of been pricey

Thank you lumber jack 1940, they where used heads, would love to find more of these heads fur later rebuilds. The serial # plate on the small fallen spike L65 says its an L65 1095199. The one with the big spikes says it a pratica 65 ass 0650 167001. The word pratica,65,ass and the first four digits are in ink fur some reason. I don't know if the L rubbed off fur L65 or what the word fur ass would be, and why would part of it be in ink.

Back