Husqvarna Chain Brake on While Changing Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwcphoto

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
If this is redundant, please direct me to the thread, but I didn't find anything. My buddy, a homeowner saw guy like myself, has a Husky saw, think it's a Rancher. He went to change the chain and took the side cover off without releasing the chain brake. He spent about two hours trying to free the brake and get the chain switched. I never saw this problem in any of the threads here.
Any ideas?
Thank you very much, dwc

Probably never saw it because not much point admitting. Take chain brake off before taking clutch cover off on outboard clutch. Take chain brake off before changing drum/sprocket on inboard clutch. There most likely is an easy way to get the chain brake stuff back together but it might take a while of frustration and break little pieces.

I was kidding based on the previous comment [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I've been cutting my own firewood for 20 years, but as a homeowner I'm not where near as experienced as most of you guys! thanks, dwc

Crankcase seal, vac test? Nope. Thanks, though. Is this on the horizon due to being a Husky? thanks, d
No. It is S.O.P. on the interwebz to jump off on a tangent. That being said, your "buddy" should consider doing a compression drop test by holding the starter handle, and seeing if the saw goes quickly, or slowly to the floor. This has absolutely nothing to do with his current situation, but will help him avoid taking the muffler off to look at the piston, and cylinder.........;)

@HarleyT forgot to mention that.......LOL!

No. It is S.O.P. on the interwebz to jump off on a tangent. That being said, your "buddy" should consider doing a compression drop test by holding the starter handle, and seeing if the saw goes quickly, or slowly to the floor. This has absolutely nothing to do with his current situation, but will help him avoid taking the muffler off to look at the piston, and cylinder.........;)

@HarleyT forgot to mention that.......LOL!

Bare minimum probably needs a complete tear down. New gaskets, seals, bearings, fuel lines, top end.

Just ignore me. I'm adding nothing to this thread other than sarcasm. I trust Harley answered your question sufficiently.

Back