Husqvarna chain issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rkp3

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has anyone else had problems with chain tension issues? If so have you found a solution to this issue with the e series chainsaw?
Mine after a short time needs to have the chain tightened. I have to stop often to retighten the chain

What model is your saw? Is the spring clip or nylon clip missing in your chain adjuster? Second what length bar and is it getting enough oil? Saw chain does stretch when new a few times then it slows up. Brand of chain?

It’s a 440 e series saw that just had a new clutch installed at the local dealers. That didn’t help anything.
He has no idea why it’s doing this. The bar is a 16”. I don’t know about the nylon clip. I can’t check it right now because the saw is back in the shop.
can you tell me about the nylon chip just where to look for it. i have yew different brands Husqvarna and Oregon. Both do the same thing.

e series probably means easy to start or efficient and nothing special related to chain adjustment.

For me if the bar gets stuck and is forced out or a kick back occurs the chain goes out of adjustment a good portion of the time. Other than that just loosen the bar nut or nuts, adjust the adjuster, pulling on bar may help, re tighten the bar nut or nuts or what ever tool less device is on it.

edit: I see below it has a tool less system. Putting forward force and shaking the bar while doing the increase tension mechanism makes more reliable adjustments for my Makita tool less model. It is unclear if this is adjustment problem is on multiple brands of saws or multiple brands of chains on this one 440e.

The 440e has a tool-free chain-tensioning system. Trouble-shooting can be a pain. Could be a worn part (clamping thread, flat on clutch cover/bar mount, etc.). Also, in some cases dirt (saw dust) in the wrong places can cause trouble. I would start with disassembling the mechanism as far as possible and cleaning/inspecting each component carefully.

e series probably means easy to start or efficient and nothing special related to chain adjustment.

For me if the bar gets stuck and is forced out or a kick back occurs the chain goes out of adjustment a good portion of the time. Other than that just loosen the bar nut or nuts, adjust the adjuster, pulling on bar may help, re tighten the bar nut or nuts or what ever tool less device is on it.

Back